Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free malware software with real time monitoring

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:34 AM

My trial version of Malwarebytes Premium is expiring. The free edition doesnt monitor websites and automatically block malware real-time. I am searching for any software that is free that does this. I have Windows 10.

I read that Bitfender Anti-Virus free edition is free and recommended but Im trying to figure out if it has real-time monitoring for the free edition . I believe it does. But as I am installing Bitdefender, it says that I must first UNinstall Malwarebytes. I dont know why it wont allow both. Does anyone have experience with the free version of Bitdefender? Would you use one over the other when using the free edition? Is Anti-virus technically different from Anti-malware? Just need this free software to block things that get downloaded onto computer as Im browsing sites.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-free-anti-malware-software

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:37 AM

Bitdfender Anti-Virus free (and other free anti-virus products) include real-time protection. When installing some anti-virus software, they first check to determine what other security products are also installed and sometimes warn you to remove them before proceeding. If you want to use Bitdefender, simply uninstall Malwarebytes first, then reinstall it after installing Bitdefender.

Since you are using Windows 10, there is always the option to just use Windows 10 Defender (Windows Defender Antivirus) which includes anti-virus and anti-malware protection that provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits. Microsoft has incorporated a number of significant improvements which make it competitive with other major anti-virus vendors.

Starting with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Windows Defender Antivirus includes Exploit Guard which has four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in ransomware attacks before any damage can be done. "Controlled Folder Access" Anti-Ransomware is a feature that allows you to protect files in certain folders to that they cannot be modified by unknown applications. This protects the files within these folders from being encrypted by a ransomware infection. In Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, Microsoft has added a dedicated Ransomware Protection section in the Windows Defender Security Center under the "Virus & threat protection" settings.Windows 10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups.

For more specific information about Windows Defender or for other suggestions, see my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

It seems that Windows 10 Defender is free. Is it usually installed by default on all Windows 10 computers or is it a separate download I need to get myself?

If it is, then I dont notice it running/blocking when I visit certain sites like how Malwarebytes Premium does when it displays a pop up on the lower right hand side of the screen to let you know that the site is malicious and doesnt let you enter. Unless Windows Defender doesn't monitor real-time web browsing like Malwarebytes Premium does and is more of a virus scanner???

Edited by irvineboy, 15 May 2018 - 09:14 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

It seems that Windows 10 Defender is free. Is it usually installed by default on all Windows 10 computers or is it a separate download I need to get myself?...

It is free and part of Windows 10 OS.

If it is, then I dont notice it running/blocking when I visit certain sites like how Malwarebytes Premium does when it displays a pop up on the lower right hand side of the screen to let you know that the site is malicious and doesnt let you enter. Unless Windows Defender doesn't monitor real-time web browsing like Malwarebytes Premium does and is more of a virus scanner???

It does not work the same as Malwarebytes so they essentially do different things. Windows Defender is not just a virus scanner. Read the links I provided above which explains all the features provided by Windows Defender.

Although the marketing of Malwarebytes 3.x Premium "claims" it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus...see here. This is a more detailed explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst. Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.

That indicates to me that Malwarebytes 3.x Premium is still better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution.

Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, browser extensions, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits, exploit kits and ransomware.

#5 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

Ill go through the links. But essentially Im looking for a anti-malware software thats free, that blocks malicious websites when you browse. Is there anything available?

#6 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

Check out Malwarebytes browser extension for Chrome or Firefox. Its free and blocks malicious websites.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

Spywareblaster is my favorite "proactive" tool that blocks you from even going to sites that have been identified as problematic.  It doesn't run constantly in the background, either, but sets up one of the system files used when browsing to block even getting to those sites.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

Is spywareblaster more comprehensive than malwarebytes browser extension? I should probably just install both since they are free.

I have so many already. I already have Avast free edition and SuperAntispyware free edition and Windows Defender. Except none of them proactively block websites like the MWB Premium trial did.

Edited by irvineboy, 15 May 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#9 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

Check out Malwarebytes browser extension for Chrome or Firefox. Its free and blocks malicious websites.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I just installed the Chrome version and I see the "M" sign to the right of the address bar.

For Firefox, I installed it but I don't see the "M" sign so how do I turn it on?

Is there one for I.E?

Edited by irvineboy, 15 May 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

SpywareBlaster is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". It prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies. SpywareBlaster allows you to create a System Snapshot...an image of various system settings. This feature can be used to restore important browser and system settings to their previous state if your computer is ever infected with spyware or altered by unwanted programs. Under the Tools section Hosts Safe allows you to store encrypted backup copies of the HOSTS file which can be used to restore (roll-back to a previous state) if the HOSTS file becomes corrupted or altered by malware infection...see Javacoolsoftware Support: What is a Hosts file? Other settings allow you to disable and block Flash in Internet Explorer, add Custom Blocking and more.

How does SpywareBlaster actually work? It adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID (Class ID) of known spyware. Every program has a CLSID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update. Why is all this important? Some types of malware are known to alter Trusted Zones, Ranges and ProtocolDefaults set for a browser.

SpywareBlaster is not intrusive since the program does not run in the background and provide real-time protection like other security tools. Instead it focuses on prevention and passive protection without utilizing unnecessary running processes or consuming system (CPU, memory) resources. The program only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again. Since SpywareBlaster does not use a real-time protection module, it supplements your existing security software without causing any conflicts. SpywareBlaster can be used with Internet Explorer and many other popular browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Netscape, Seamonkey, Flock...see here.

If you're not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial. In addition to explaining how to use the tool, the tutorial covers other built-in tools and features.

For more information, read:I recommend using SpywareBlaster...I have used it since the first release years ago and have continued to install each version update.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:23 PM

...I already have Avast free edition and SuperAntispyware free edition and Windows Defender. Except none of them proactively block websites like the MWB Premium trial did.

If you have avast, then you should not be considering Bitdefender or any other anti-virus unless you remove it.

Malwarebytes Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module in the Premium version and works after it is enabled. Anti-virus solutions such as Emsisoft and ESET provide similar protection.

#12 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

This is what I have on my computer

Avast Anti-virus free
MWB free
AdwCleaner
SuperAntiSpyware
MWB Chrome extension......not sure if the Firefox extension installed correctly but not sure how to check?
Windows Defender

Do I need more???? Almost seem like more of the same. The only protective one that is real-time seems to be the MWB browser extensions. All the rest are reactive.

Edited by irvineboy, 15 May 2018 - 09:25 PM.

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

Hi, irvineboy!

Since you have avast! Free Antivirus, it provides real-time protection against malware, but as such, Windows Defender 10 Antivirus is automatically disabled except for Limited Periodic Scanning.

Malwarebytes Free, AdwCleaner and SUPERAntiSpyware are all on-demand and reactive, whereas the Malwarebytes Chrome extension provides real-time malware, scam, advertising/tracker, clickbait and Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) protection, but it is currently only available in BETA.

In order to check if the Malwarebytes Firefox extension installed correctly, you can press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+A, or click the Tools menu+Extensions menu, of which both methods will open the Firefox extensions window.

Additionally, I would recommend uBlock Origin, a general purpose blocker which can block both ads and scripts, and HTTPS Everywhere, an extension that encrypts your communications, making your browsing more secure.

And for Google Chrome, there is also uBlock Origin Extra, which is a companion extension to uBlock Origin that gains the ability to foil early hostile anti-user mechanisms working around content blockers.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 16 May 2018 - 11:15 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#14 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

So when something is in BETA, like the Malwarebytes Chrome/Firefox extension, does it mean it only partially works because of the bugs?.

Does uBlock and uBlock Extra and HTTPS EVerywhere work in real-time? 

I'm confused as to how all these programs intertwine and if it is overkill when I have the above programs installed already?  Just don't want to slow down my computer and prefer to reduce overhead if there are already tools that do the job.  Since quietman7 recommended NOT installing Bitdefender because I have Avast free edition installed, I am wondering if I shouldn't install uBlock, uBlock Extra and HTTP Everywhere because I have Malwarebytes Chrome/Firefox extension installed and Malwarebytes free edition and the other ones listed?  Thanks all.

Edited by irvineboy, 16 May 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

irvineboy,

I can tell you that you are in gross overkill mode.

Unless you have a habit of visiting "sketchy" websites and a history of acquiring repeated infections by doing so, usually by interacting directly with something on said websites because infections are seldom passive, your fixation on realtime scanning is entirely unnecessary.   If the former does characterize your history, or at least recent history, then you really need to examine your choices as far as wandering cyberspace.

Ad blocking software and script blocking software has to operate in realtime as it's the only way to block what they're blocking.  They have to look at the content of a webpage before all the elements download and block those that are unwanted.  HTTPS Everywhere works in realtime, for some value of, by forcing an HTTPS connection rather than an HTTP connection where that would be the default and where HTTPS is available.  It's much more a privacy add-on than anything else.

Beta software often is not "buggy" at all.  The final version of beta is what ends up becoming "release candidate one" and eventually the actual release once the developers are convinced everything is working as it should.  It's not that beta software can't have the occasional bug, but it's not alpha software (real "heavy bleeding edge") where you're barely further along than first draft and expect a lot of potential bugginess.

There is great value in developing safe interaction habits for cyberspace to prevent infections that can come about from user actions that are reasonably probable if a little forethought is not involved.  There is virtually no value in trying to inoculate against the very remotely possible because it's unlikely to occur, period, and it makes your day-to-day computing experience much more sluggish and "interaction between software" ridden than it ever need be.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users