Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some home network setup questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AspiringSomeone

AspiringSomeone

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

So here's the deal. I want to setup an older desktop as a sort of basic home server, to store the bulk of my files and make them accessible by other computers in the network. As I have no choice but to use Comcast cable in my building, I have a device I'm leasing through them for my Internet (router/cable modem in one, I believe the model is an Arris TG1682G). All my other computers and devices are connected wirelessly (good thing it has dual band so one frequency doesn't get too crowded), but... I want the server to be connected directly with an Ethernet cable (cat 6), plus I ran out of wireless adapters and am too lazy to get another. I did connect it to a port in the back of the device, and it successfully connects to the Internet, however...

The wired connection creates a separate network, called Network 2, obviously different from the WiFi network my other computers are on, even though they go through the same cable modem device. How do I enable the two networks to communicate with each other so I can share the contents of my drives on the server one? This is a pretty noob question but whatever. And what specific steps do I take in sharing folders/files and such? As far as I can tell, it's just a matter of right clicking, going into Properties, and enabling sharing? I plan on connecting my printer to the "server" as well, and I guess maybe considering installing some kind of Linux variety eventually. Anyway, on Windows, is the sharing all user-based, with usernames and passwords?

Furthermore, do I need a more heavy-duty NIC? The one on that computer seems to be a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

I may have some more questions that come up as I get these things figured out.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:29 AM

Im not an expert in Networking but my Setup works fine.

My Setup to my Main PC  Win 7 / And a Internal Storage Drive - 8 TB - Storage of all Files , Movies , Music { Wireless to the Modem / Router }.

I dont use Home Sharing and a Password , i selected the Folders to Share on the 8 TB / or all of it , and then grant Full Access under Properties / Sharing / Advanced Sharing.{ I Edit and Move a Lot of Files etc , But you can only allow Read Only for Users to Browse only and View }.

Then i Browse Using Explorer to -  Network Icon , Network and Sharing Center - Tab ,  and on Left hand Side Select Change Advanced Sharing Settings , then.....working down the List - 

Turn on Network Discovery.

Turn on File and Printing Sharing.

Turn On Sharing So anyone with Network Access can Read and Write to Public Folders.

Media Streaming On.

Use 128 Bit Encryption.

Turn On Password Protection Sharing.

And Select - Use User Accounts and Passwords to connect to other Computers

Then i access the PC from my Laptop { Over Wifi } Open  Explorer , Select Network Icon LHS , Select the PC Name on the RHS { Left Click } and enter the Username and Password for that PC.

This is what i do and it works and i manage fine with my files.

Others may do it different or better , i dont know ? 

Edited by Havachat, 15 May 2018 - 04:31 AM.

#3 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 279 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

You need a protocol to tunnel to the server with from the client devices. WiFi or Ethernet!

You can use FTP or SSH etc!

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#4 AspiringSomeone

AspiringSomeone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

Thanks guys I got it working now.

Actually, got a related question: how does one implement FTP? Is it automatically used by Microsoft when moving around shared files between computers in a home network, or do you have to get some separate program for it?

Edited by AspiringSomeone, 16 May 2018 - 03:05 PM.

#5 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 279 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

FTP is used mainly for remote access to files as windows takes care of homegroup access as you say.

You will need a third party client to support this.

Popular freeware ftp clients for windows include FileZilla, WinSCP etc

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users