Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The Audio Service is not running" + error msg 0x8007000e

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:46 PM

OK, great!  This makes a solution really easy, altho you have several options that are progressively more involved.  The simplest is to quit using the Guillermo account altogether, which should be easy for you since the reason it was created is not really valid.  As long as Rafa works OK, there is really no reason to log into Guillermo for any kind of normal use.  However, if you do ever have a problem with Rafa's profile, it is my opinion that it is a good idea to have another working user account to log in to that makes fixing it a bit more convenient.  There has been a rash lately of people whose profile won't let them log in.  If you only have one working user account when this happens, you have to log in to your admin account in safe mode to try to run System Restore or to restore the the profile from a backup in the registry, but sometimes getting in safe mode is a hassle or not even possible--which leaves the only booting/fixing option from other media or slaving the hdd to another machine.  You can also remove some malware by logging out of the infected user and working with the other user account.  For example, my sister got one of those infections where we couldn't use any system tools like Task Manager, Control Panel, etc.  BC's site owner, Grinler, has created a tool called RKill to deal with such things, but there can be several steps to getting it downloaded and installed and running on the affected machine.  I logged out of my sister's account, logged into one for myself I had created when setting up the computer for my sister, and ran system restore.  That got rid of the problem, but I ran malwarebytes anyway to get rid of any leftovers.  This is not going to work for every infection, but in this case it sure saved me a lot of time.

So here are your options:

1a.  Do nothing, just abandon the Guillermo account.

1b.  Abandon the Guillermo account and create a new Admin account.

2a.  Delete the Guillermo account.  I was remiss in instructions on how to check the Guillermo account while logged into Rafa.  In the users part of Control Panel, click on Manage another account.  This should show the user accounts you have control over.  Click on Guillermo, and then you should have an option to delete it.  When done the icon for the user will be gone from Control Panel and log in screen.  You might still see the user folder in Windows Explorer but I wouldn't worry about messing with it or any other remnants.  The only hassle with deleting the user is if you have valuable files in the Guillermo My Documents, My Pictures, etc., folders.  To save them you would have to go in and change folder permissions while logged in to Rafa.  If you need to do this and need instructions, let me know, but, since you say you hardly ever used Guillermo, I'm going to assume there are no files in his user folder that you need which means you can delete the user account and be done with it.

2b.  Delete the Guillermo account and create a new spare account with admin privileges.  Since you have created accounts before I assume you know how to do this, but, as always, if you need help with it or have any questions, just ask.

3.  If you feel the need, we can try to fix the Guillermo account.  The first thing I would try is the fix we did in Post #9, but check to see if Guillermo is an admin by following instructions in option 2a--if not it won't work and I wouldn't bother with trying to fix it.  Follow the same instructions while logged into Guillermo, but substitute Guillermo where the name Rafa appears.  Reboot, then log back into Guillermo and see if things are better.  If that doesn't work we can try some things with the tool I mentioned earlier, but it can apparently be bad for your system if used incorrectly, so I won't go into that in any detail unless we know it's needed.

Whatever option you choose, go ahead and do the instructions for it and let me know what you decide and how it goes.  Also if any problems crop up while logged into Rafa.  If all goes well, I still have one thing more for you to do before letting you go. 

The tool I mentioned fixes several sort of stock problems with Windows.  I had seen it before I went into my long period of inactivity here at BC, but hadn't had a chance to test it out since I didn't have anything that needed fixing.  But just the other day when I saw it mentioned and where it fixed a problem elsewhere, I used it to fix my balky Bluray player on my desktop.  Finally got to see the DVD from the 40th anniversary edition of Larks' Tongues In Aspic (my all time favorite KC album, btw) I got for Christmas.  Man oh man!  Jamie Muir was such a beast!

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 willis64

willis64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

Ok, so I've gone ahead and created a new Admin account. At next bootup I'll check Guillermo to see if there are any files I want in the desktop - I had put the few things I backed up in Guillermo there - and make sure I have other backups elsewhere. This will no doubt be the case but to be sure before I delete Guillermo user account.

There is still the issue of ComboFix onboard. Removing it is more than a simple un-install, no? So this, cleaning other stuff hanging about since all this started and this fixer tool you mention and hopefully I'm good to go!

40th Anni LTIA eh? That might just be something for my evening tonight, time permitting! :)

Cheers!

#33 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:13 PM

Yes, the uninstalling of Combofix is the one more thing I want you to do.  It's not too involved, it just makes some changes to your computer that would have helped it remove malware, and then deletes your restore points.  So we want to make sure everything is OK with you computer after you make these changes to your user accounts.  There shouldn't be anything go badly south with that to make a System Restore needed, but better safe than sorry.  If you are going to delete Guillermo we shouldn't need the fixer tool--unless something else happens.  If we do have to use it, it's best to have SR available.  CF is intended to be used solely as a malware removal tool, i.e., to be used only when a trained malware removal person (like me) is reasonably sure of an infection and recommends that it be run.  That's why at the end of the malware removal process infected Restore Points are deleted.

So make your changes to the user accounts as recommended and whatever other changes or fixes you think might need to be  done, run the system for a while and if all is copacetic then we will uninstall CF.  Not sure what you mean about cleaning up of other stuff that's been hanging around.  Give me some more feedback on what you're looking at with that and we'll take care of it before the CF uninstall and get you back to enjoying cyberland on your own.

We bought a slightly used 2016 Nissan Rogue GL about a year ago with a surprisingly (to me, at least) high-end sound system--Bose, with a subwoofer in the hollowed out part of the spare tire under the cargo area.  Put that 40 LTIA CD in it on a few hours traveling day today and cranked it up.  Beats the hell out of the first time I bought that album--on 8-track and listened to it in a '72 Pontiac Grand Ville--which was pretty high end at the time for sound systems back then, back when four speakers was still something new.

Edited by Papakid, 18 June 2018 - 11:49 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

#34 willis64

willis64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

Yeah, that stuff on the desktop was things like speccy logs and diagnostic progs. That's all cleaned up and User Guillermo deleted. I've rebooted and things seem to be normal at the moment.

Ah, Bose, miss my Bose, had the 4-channel 300 watts per channel Bose amp pushing 4 901 series speakers w their Eqs... If you wanted to feel like you were at the concert, that set-up did the trick. Vibrated windows right out of their frames on occasion.

#35 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:46 PM

OK, so it's been a couple days now--if all is still going well we can wrap this up. 

Hold down the Windows key and R at the same time to get the Run box and copy & paste the following bolded text into it and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

That's all there is to it, tho a reboot is always a good idea.  One thing you might want to test beforehand is System Restore, but you can test it just as well after, since a restore point will be created after the old ones are deleted and fixing it, if needed, should be the same either way.

Let me know how it goes and if any other problems.  We don't close resolved threads in this part of the forum, so if something related crops up you are welcome to post back--I'll get an email notice if you do.  Unrelated problems, of course, you can start a new topic in the relevant forum.  Til then I'll let you get back to your dynamic aural experiences. :guitar:

Edited by Papakid, 18 June 2018 - 11:47 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

#36 willis64

willis64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

Ok mate, looks good, I've given it a couple of days and all seems well.

If there is anything it's that I'm having trouble with websites remembering me - it's so I have to sign back in again if I'm not actively doing anything or switch over to another site breifly. Other sites don't fully load, ie, Yahoo news, I'll get maybe 5 to 10 news stories now as I scroll down where it used to be maybe 100... Don't know whats up with this. I don't think it has anything to do with what we've been working on; my guess it it's connected w switching to Cloudflare's domain gateway...

I really appreciate you working with me through this. It's been a learning experience for me so there's that too. :)

Cheers, thanks again and have a great weekend!

Will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users