I was referred to this forum by a friend after I told them about this issue I've been having.
The short of it is my computer will no longer shut down. When I shut down, whether through the start menu, alt-f4 menu, through the command line, etc, the monitor loses signal as it should, but the light on the case stays on and the fans keep spinning. It never actually shuts down. Same thing happens if I try to restart. My only option is to hold in the power button each time.
I've spent hours troubleshooting this and trying every solution I've come across so far.
Some things I've tried:
- Shutting down from safe mode
- Turning off fast boot in both OS and BIOS
- Rolling back Intel Management Engine Interface Driver to 9.x
- Disabling said driver.
- Switching between HDMI and DP
- Various alternate shutdown and restart methods
- Adjusting the boot order
- Disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on USB controllers
- Disabling Intel Rapid Technology Services
- Updating the BIOS
- Windows 10 fresh install
My next step is gonna be to open it up and poke around to make sure all the connections are solid. Also have running memtest86 on the agenda.
I appreciate any and all thoughts. Thank you all very much for your time and assistance.