Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which MOBO Drivers do I Need?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cdklemont

cdklemont

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZLrhkd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZLrhkd/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.59 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($70.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $343.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-14 09:22 EDT-0400

The computer starts up normally and runs normally. However, the only drivers I've installed are that of the Radeon Vega 8 graphics on the CPU. I am not sure which drivers to install from the Motherboard page. I was given a disk but it doesn't say which drivers it has on the disk nor do I have an optical drive. The top 2 options on the downloads page of the MOBO website are confusing me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

Just FYI, the drivers you need are on the CD (or DVD) that came packaged with the mainboard. Both the top two options are for the 2000 series CPU (which is yours) so just install them. At the bottom two Beta versions are offered. My personal opinion is to avoid them. They probably are ok, but anytime a beta is installed the user takes the chances.

If you had a DVD drive it would be easier. If you know anyone who has one that you could borrow temporarily you could just connect it external (no need to install in the case) and use it that way. You might consider an optical drive anyway, they are way cheap now and can still be very useful. Otherwise, you will have to create a bootable flash drive and load whatever you want to install on it every time you want to add software (if it comes on a DVD).

By the way...read carefully all that will be installed. AMD (and all the other manufacturers also) include lots of trialware and junkware that will automatically be loaded unless you specify otherwise. I see that they have the customary trial version of Norton security suite so unless you want it opt-out.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 cdklemont

cdklemont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

Just FYI, the drivers you need are on the CD (or DVD) that came packaged with the mainboard. Both the top two options are for the 2000 series CPU (which is yours) so just install them. At the bottom two Beta versions are offered. My personal opinion is to avoid them. They probably are ok, but anytime a beta is installed the user takes the chances.

If you had a DVD drive it would be easier. If you know anyone who has one that you could borrow temporarily you could just connect it external (no need to install in the case) and use it that way. You might consider an optical drive anyway, they are way cheap now and can still be very useful. Otherwise, you will have to create a bootable flash drive and load whatever you want to install on it every time you want to add software (if it comes on a DVD).

By the way...read carefully all that will be installed. AMD (and all the other manufacturers also) include lots of trialware and junkware that will automatically be loaded unless you specify otherwise. I see that they have the customary trial version of Norton security suite so unless you want it opt-out.

So the drivers on that link I should install, but I will also need to get my hands on an optical drive and install what's on the disk as well?

EDIT: I installed the second one (Raven Ridge) because I have the Ryzen 3 2200G. Still haven't installed the disk yet.

Edited by cdklemont, 14 May 2018 - 09:31 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

You have two options to choose from:

#1: download all the files off the website to your hard drive and install from those files. Each .exe file will need to be installed.

#2: get an optical drive and install the drivers from the CD that came with your mainboard.

You do not need to do both, either one will give you your mainboard drivers.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 cdklemont

cdklemont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

You have two options to choose from:

#1: download all the files off the website to your hard drive and install from those files. Each .exe file will need to be installed.

#2: get an optical drive and install the drivers from the CD that came with your mainboard.

You do not need to do both, either one will give you your mainboard drivers.

Per the MOBO link in my OP, is the "AMD ALL in 1 with VGA driver ver:17.40.3301" download sufficient? I downloaded that one and installed it already.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

You want all the drivers listed.

The only exceptions you can consider are:

> AMD RAID driver: if you have no plans for ever configuring RAID on your system, you can leave that one. If you do happen to install it, no harm done.

>  Norton Security Suite: if you have an antivirus and firewall already that you want to use, do not install this. After a certain amount of time it will nag you to "buy me" and will eventually shut down, and it takes up considerable storage space. I personally think Norton is one of the most bloated and overpriced security systems around, but that is only my opinion.

> The two beta options in red at the bottom of the list, for the reasons I stated in post#2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users