Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this normal for a new computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2018

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

Hi,

Is it normal for a brand new computer to have 2 different install dates in control panel>programs, AND in event viewer?  I bought another hp desktop recently and that one, all the dates were the same and it "did not" have an option to restore win7 in system & security. This one does. 

Just making sure this in normal and I did not get a used pc.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Please post the make and model of the computer with the Windows 7 restore file.

If the computer has the option to restore Windows 7 that Windows 10 could be a update made by the manufacturer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 2018

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

It could be from the manufacturer, but I would think a fresh install of win10 from the manufacturer would not include an option to revert back to win7.

The 2 install dates in my programs and event viewer are 2-27-2018 and 3-5-2018. Close in date so maybe it is normal for this computer. Plus there are only 2 different dates, not a whole list of them. As I said my last computer prior to this had all the programs installed on the same day. Strange to me, that is all, if it is used I need to take it back, but maybe I am overthinking. Thanks.

HP 570-p023w

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Just as a data point, I have never run in to a computer that has Win10 installed as the native OS from the OEM have any option for roll back to a prior version of Windows.  I do not know of a single OEM that upgrades their computers via "the usual" Windows Update process that would allow this.

I, too, would be very suspicious regarding the provenance of said computer.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 2018

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:29 AM

dc3,

Thanks for responding, very appreciated.

britechguy,

I never ran into that problem either. Very suspicious. Guess I will return it. Thank you very much for confirming my suspicion. 

Really great Forum guys.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users