Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC crashing after update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jamescushen

jamescushen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:03 AM

Hi there,

Would appreciate some help with this if possible.

Last Tuesday (8th May) a Windows update was installed automatically to my PC. Since the update has installed my PC is now running very slowly. It's freezing all the time now and has made using it impossible. I use a CAD program regularly and I have noticed that this program now returns error messages that it didn't before. Also drawings I have previously done now don't open properly and if they do they are missing a lot of key components.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

James.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:51 AM

try doing a system restore to a date previous of the update

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

What was the update?

You can see view your installed update history by doing the following.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

Under Settings select Update & Security, then click/tap on Windows Update, then View installed update history.

This will show the date any successfully installed updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jamescushen

jamescushen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

Hi Dc3,

Done what you said. Says there was a feature update to windows 10 that failed to install on the 14th. Version 1803?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

Was this an automatic update or did you try to download and install it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jamescushen

jamescushen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

It was an automatic update. I didn’t initiate the installation.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

Try downloading the ISO file for the update and install it.

How to download Windows 10 April 2018 Update ISO Images

#8 jamescushen

jamescushen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:27 AM

Hi dc3,

I didnt get a chance to do that unfortunately. My pc suddenly skipped to a blue screen with sad smiley and said that an error had occurred and needed to restart. Reason code was memory management. Time to buy a new pc? Haha.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

Please run Memtest86 to test your RAM.  This procedure creates a bootable disc which the computer will boot from, this means that the operating system will not be involved.

1)  Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2)  Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Instructions for using the 7-Zip can be see in the video below.

4)  Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

5)  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

6)  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

7)  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

8)  You will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

9)  A green progress bar will appear, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

10)  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

11) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be necessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display will appear, note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users