Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event ID 219...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oxonsi

Oxonsi

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:32 AM

I've noticed several warnings in the Event Viewer, Windows System log related to Event ID 219:  The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000.

One recommendation to address this issue is to set the "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework" service to automatic startup.  Well, come to find out, the "Windows Driver Foundation - User=mode Driver Framework" service is missing from my Windows 10 install.  No such service is listed.

Is there any way for me to reinstall the missing service?  And what would cause it to go missing?

Thanks for any info!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

What kind of problem/s are you experiencing that you have looked in the Event Viewer for answers?  Please provide a full description of this problem.

Learning the relevance of the Event Viewer errors is needed if you are going to try to diagnose problems from it.  There is a great deal of error messages which are not actually related to a specific problem.  

The following is a direct quote from the How-To Geek website.

The biggest problem with Event Viewer is that it can be really confusing – there are a lot of warnings, errors, and informational messages, and without knowing what it all means, you can assume (incorrectly) that your computer is broken or infected when there’s nothing really wrong.

In fact, the tech support scammers are using Event Viewer as part of their sales tactic to convince confused users that their PC is infected with viruses. They walk you through filtering by only critical errors and then act surprised that all you are seeing are critical errors.

Learning how to use and understand Event Viewer is a critical skill for figuring out what is going on with a PC, and troubleshooting problems.

What

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for your reply and link to the Wise Geek article.  I like his articles, and I hadn't seen that one before.

I'm not experiencing any problems outside Event Viewer...  Yes, I realize many of the errors and warnings in the Event Viewer can be safely ignored; basically every computer that has been running for any length of time will have some errors and warnings in the log.

That said, I do periodically check the Event Log, and I try to research and address errors and warnings even when I'm not experiencing any problems with the OS.  I try to minimize the errors and warnings, not that it makes any perceptible difference in the computer's operation and performance.  I assume a computer with less errors and warnings is running more smoothly than one with more, and I generally learn something while I research the errors.

In this case, I found an article addressing "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load", and it appears to be somewhat reasonable.

https://validedge.com/driver-wudfrd-failed-load/

It offers 6 methods to address "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load".  I had already checked / tried methods 1 thru 5 on my own.  Therefore, I wanted to see if Method 6:  "Check Windows Driver Foundation service Settings" would help.

More concerning now is the fact that "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework" is missing.  I believe it is one of the standard services in Windows 10.  I don't recall having deleted the service.  I don't think I've deleted any Windows service...  So in this case, Event ID 219 is not associated with any problem I'm experiencing, but it did lead me to a concern:  I'm Windows 10 install is missing a standard service for some reason.

That's my understanding.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

If you read this article then you should be aware that a great deal of the errors you are seeing are not errors which need to be acted on.  For instance, an application could throw an error message and have it resolve itself very shortly after it appears in the Event Viewer as it was just starting the application.

Here's my overall view with situations... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Well I cannot argue with that logic :thumbup2:

Let me just ask you:  is "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework" a standard Windows 10 service?  And if so, why would it be missing, and should I be concerned about that?  I'm not sure of the purpose of that service nor its default startup type.

Thanks!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

Please do the following.  You will need to run this as an administrator.

1. Run the System Maintenance Troubleshooter.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Copy and Paste the following in the Run box, then press Enter.

msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic

In the page that opens click Next and follow the prompts to complete troubleshooter.

2. Run the System Performance Troubleshooter.

This will need to be run from the Elevated Command Prompt as an administrator.

To open the Command Prompt as an Administrator please do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic.

Post the results of these two troubleshooting techniques.

#7 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the directions.

The System Maintenance completed with "no changes or updates necessary."

Output:

System Maintenance Publisher details 

Potential issues that were checked 
Troubleshooting history is taking up disk spaceTroubleshooting history is taking up disk space
Troubleshooting history and logs are currently taking up 0MB of disk space. Issue not present  
Error reports are taking up disk spaceError reports are taking up disk space
Error reports and logs are currently taking up 0MB of disk space. Issue not present  

Potential issues that were checked Detection details 

6 Troubleshooting history is taking up disk space Issue not present  

Troubleshooting history and logs are currently taking up 0MB of disk space. 
InformationalAdministrator troubleshooting history details 
Details of the administrator troubleshooting history logs. 
Folder name: C:\Users\mike_\AppData\Local\elevateddiagnostics 
Disk space: 0.284MB 

InformationalUser troubleshooting history details 
Details of the user troubleshooting history logs. 
Folder name: C:\Users\mike_\AppData\Local\diagnostics 
Disk space: 0MB 

6 Error reports are taking up disk space Issue not present  

Error reports and logs are currently taking up 0MB of disk space. 
InformationalSystem report details 
Details of the Windows error reporting system queue. 
Folder name: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue 
Disk space: 0.016MB 

InformationalDisk information 
Details of the system drive. 
Drive name: C: 
Free space: 77.664GB 
Total space: 154.528GB 

InformationalUser Report details 
Details of the Windows error reporting user queue. 
Folder name: C:\Users\mike_\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue 
Disk space: 0MB 

Detection details Expand 

Collection information 
Computer Name:  DESKTOP-NDLCEAK 
Windows Version: 10.0 
Architecture: x64 
Time: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:02:55 PM 

Publisher details Expand 

System Maintenance 
Find and clean up unused files and shortcuts, and perform maintenance tasks. 
Package Version: 1.0 
Publisher: Microsoft Windows 
System Maintenance 
Find and clean up unused files and shortcuts, and perform maintenance tasks. 
Package Version: 1.0 
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation 

When I run the System Performance Troubleshooter, it states, "Sorry, this troubleshooter doesn't work with this version of Windows", and "We disabled this troubleshooter because it won't work on this PC."

Strange.

I'm willing to leave it be, as you point out:  I'm not really experiencing any problems.  I'm just a little concerned that a standard Windows service seems to be missing...

Edited by Oxonsi, 16 May 2018 - 05:09 PM.

#8 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

I did a little more research on this in the meantime, and according to the linked website, the "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework" service does not exist in Windows 10 version 1803 [nor 1709 for that matter].

I recently updated my Windows 10 installation to version 1803.  So perhaps that is my answer:  the service is missing because it does not exist in the version of Windows 10 that I'm on.  I guess I'm relieved.

http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/wudfsvc/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users