Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer just restarts randomly, not psu

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

Hi, so I've had this problem for a long time now, I've taken this problem to a forum before and they all said it was my psu. So I replaced my old psu with a corsair one tha had plenty of extra watts to spare and this problem is still happening.

To clarify what is happening, my computer randomly restarts, but it's always during a gaming session. It can't be temperature since my GPU is barely touching 60 celcius and my CPU is hanging in the 40-50s. I don't get a blue screen when this happens, it just restart

Now from a logical standpoint, it points to my psu. When it "restarts", it acts like if you unplugged the computer and repligged it back in. Everything is super slow and a few programs lose their saved data like login information. Except, I replaced the psu with a reputable one from corsair.

Psu: CX-450m

I used several psu calculators and they all point to a recommended amount that is under 450 watts so it can't be the amount of watts I have. It also can't be the quality since it is by corsair and I was even recommended it by others. What could possibly have happened?

Edit: is it possible to have installed a power supply wrong so that it acts up?

Edited by SavagedBlade, 13 May 2018 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

good afternoon my friends,

if your sure that your problem does not have to do with your psu or ram try this

locate your win32k.sys in your windows folder / system32 and rename it to win32k.sys.old

your system will generate a fresh win32k.sys fresh file !

win32k.sys cause many problems and i have some bad experiences and blue screens as well with it

if your pc still have problems then try to remove your cmos battery from your motherboard, remove all your ram dimms and completely disconnect your psu from all your hardware

leave your pc in this state for at least half an hour (sometimes static electricity cause problems) in order your motherboard capacitors to fully discharge 

after half an hour put your cmos battery, install your ram dimms and connect your psu

after boot get into bios and put the right settings (auto for your ram speed), no overclocking settings !

if you still have problems try to re install again your os

good luck my friend

Edited by nickos, 14 May 2018 - 09:56 AM.

#3 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

good afternoon my friends,

if your sure that your problem does not have to do with your psu or ram try this

locate your win32k.sys in your windows folder / system32 and rename it to win32k.sys.old

your system will generate a fresh win32k.sys fresh file !

win32k.sys cause many problems and i have some bad experiences and blue screens as well with it

if your pc still have problems then try to remove your cmos battery from your motherboard, remove all your ram dimms and completely disconnect your psu from all your hardware

leave your pc in this state for at least half an hour (sometimes static electricity cause problems) in order your motherboard capacitors to fully discharge 

after half an hour put your cmos battery, install your ram dimms and connect your psu

after boot get into bios and put the right settings (auto for your ram speed), no overclocking settings !

if you still have problems try to re install again your os

good luck my friend

Kinda reluctant to do this since modifying system files could like corrupt it or something. Can someone out there confirm the legitimacy of this?

Edit: I did some research and Im not experiencing blue screens or anything, my screen just goes black with the hdmi2 thing coming up and then it reboots up.

Edited by SavagedBlade, 14 May 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

not only pull the ram modules, I would pull the CPU and redo the thermal compound and re-seat (remove from the socket and put it back in place) the chip itself.

#6 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Ok I will do this, would you like for me to attach the frequency of when it happens (via windows event viewer)?

EDIT: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cTHONRr16vYPiKZ2upmKLVX

Edited by SavagedBlade, 18 May 2018 - 08:00 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

Go into the BIOS and view your voltages and post them in your topic.  Short of using a DMM to read the rail voltages the BIOS will have the most accurate voltages, this would include any third party programs like CPUID HWMonitor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

How do i access my bios? Fo some reason the button inside settings doesnt work and when I boot up, the motherboard screen doesnt tell me what key to press to get in

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Press the Delete key to access the BIOS.

#10 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:31 AM

Press the Delete key to access the BIOS.

Alright, how do I check the voltages?
Edit: is this it? Attached File  image.jpg   129.99KB   0 downloads

Edited by SavagedBlade, 19 May 2018 - 11:35 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Those are the rail voltages I asked for.  It looks like the rail voltages fall under normal tolerances.

Try putting a load on the PSU to see if the voltages change.  Playing a intense game or copying a movie should do the job.

Edited by dc3, 19 May 2018 - 11:54 AM.

#12 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

Those are the rail voltages I asked for.  It looks like the rail voltages fall under normal tolerances.

Try putting a load on the PSU to see if the voltages change.  Playing a intense game or copying a movie should do the job.

How would I observe the voltages while doing something like playing a game?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

Look in the BIOS as you did previously while the load is on the system.

#14 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

Look in the BIOS as you did previously while the load is on the system.

Im confused, how would I get into the bios while playing a game. Don’t I have to reboot or something to load in? How would I access the bios while the load is still on?

Also, I’d like to add that these “reboots” happen randomly, they don’t happen during the most intense part of the game experience, usually it happens after I’ve been playing for an hour or so, sometimes it doesn’t happen like today when I sat down for an hour and 20.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

You are not confused, I gave you instructions which will not work. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users