Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Flamined

Flamined

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hello,

I have recently been having a lot of my trouble with connecting to my wifi. I dont think its an issue with my internet as all other devices still connect with no problems.

For a few days my laptop wouldnt connect at all and when I troubleshot it, the error message was 'A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken'. I have tried uninstalling the driver and restarting with no success as well as a few other things like turning off and taking the battery out to no effect.

I have recently plugged in via ethernet cable which worked and I made sure all the windows updates were completed.

Now when I try to use wifi it doesnt connect straight away but when i troubleshoot it the same error message comes up but with a yellow triangle rather than a red one and the internet does work, however it does seem to drop out quite frequently and requires troubleshooting again to resolve the issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Flamined

Flamined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

Forgot to add pictures

Attached Files

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

Please post the make and model of this laptop.

Something you could do for the mean time would be to purchase a wifi dongle and use it for the time being, or just stick with it.  You can find these for around $10.00, like this one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Flamined

Flamined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Its an Acer Aspire E5-511.

The dongle is a good shout, useful as a backup regardless.

Cheers

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

The message 'A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken' will appear every time you run the trouble shooter if the ethernet device is enabled but not connected, this is perfectly normal.

Device manager will tell you what wifi adapter is built into this computer and this seems to be the page for drivers for your laptop -

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/acer/laptops-desktops/aspire-e5-511/165601

Even if your present driver is the same on it would be worth your while downloading the wifi driver and saving it to somewhere where you can find it easily, uninstalling the existing driver and re-installing with the fresh one. This would counter any possibility of corruption in the driver files.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

What is the version and build of your Windows 10?

To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver, then press Enter.  Post this information in your topic.

Unfortunately there are some problems that have occurred after the April and May accumulative updates which has resulted in wifi to quit working.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Flamined

Flamined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

Thanks guys, please see attached picture for windows version info. I thought it might be related to the updates.

Cheers for the driver link, updating now.

Attached Files

• Attached File  g.png   467.17KB   0 downloads

Edited by Flamined, 14 May 2018 - 01:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users