Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Spring 1803 Update - Finally Successful

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

After five attempts, I was finally successful in getting my Windows 10 Spring 1803 Update to work, so I wanted to explain how I finally did it, in case anybody else encountered similar problems.

I initially tried using the regular Windows Update method to automatically download and install the 1803 update.  However, that method failed at least two times (towards the end of the install process) and gave an error code of 0x8007001f.

I then tried using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, but that also failed towards the end, and simply reverted back to my earlier Windows installation.

Next, I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool.  The first time I did this, it displayed an error message part way through saying that HitmanPro.Alert had blocked a file operation, and then it also eventually failed to install, again reverting back to my earlier Windows 10 installation.  This time the error message was 0x80070402b - 0x4000D  "The installation failed in the Second Boot phase with an error during migrate data operation".

Finally, after doing some online googling for possible fixes, I came up with a package of potential solutions and tried them all at once.  I did this instead of trying them one at a time because the installation process had been taking about 2-1/2 hours each time before failing, and I wanted to avoid sitting through many more lengthy attempts.

Here are the things I did to finally get the 1803 update to install on my computer:

1.  Using Revo Uninstaller, i uninstalled the following programs:

HitmanPro.Alert v2.6.5.77, Hellblazer Maps Pack v7.2 (a mod for Civilization 6), All of my Creative Soundblaster related programs (Creative Alchemy, Creative Audio Control Panel, Creative media Source 5, Creative Software Autoupdate, Creative Soundblaster Properties x64 Edition, and Creative Wavestudio 7)

2.  Manually deleted the folder containing the MalwareBytes Antirootkit program.

3.  Using Msconfig, set my system to clean boot as follows:  Opened msconfig, navigated to the services tab, selected "Hide all Microsoft Services", clicked on the "disable all" button, then clicked "Apply" and "OK".

4.  Opened Task Manager, went to the Startup tab, and disabled most of the programs listed there.

5.  Restarted my computer, and then in Administrator mode successfully ran the Media Creation Tool 1803.

6.  After about 2-1/2 hours, Windows Update 1803 finally successfully installed!  Hooray!  Hooray!

7.  Windows then automatically reinstalled some Creative Soundblaster files.

8.  Using Msconfig, changed the settings to normal startup and restarted my computer.

9.  In Task Manager, at the Startup tab, re-enabled all programs, and then restarted my computer one final time.

10.  As a final wrap up, I then reinstalled one program that the Windows 1803 update had removed, the "Windows 7 Games for Windows 10 and 8".

Best wishes to all.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Just wanted to add this updated info.

My daughter's computer (very similar to mine in hardware/software) was also refusing to install the Windows 1803 Spring Update via the normal Windows Update method.

However, just now, I was finally able to successfully update her computer too using the same method as above.  The only step I did differently is that because she did not have a Creative Soundblaster audio card installed, I did not uninstall any audio files.

Best wishes.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users