Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:39 PM

I attempted to install the latest flash player into XP Pro SP2. Already had a version successfully installed- was just trying to get the latest version. Install seems to go way too fast, and now no flash player is recognizable to web sites like CNET. I had also attempted to install Macromedia Shockwave, which now will not even let me do an uninstall. Flash player does not show up in the list of installed programs. How can I clean up this mess, and get a working flash player installed? Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:18 AM

update to problem... I attempted a flash player install again, this time allowing a Yahoo toolbar install, where before I did not. This time it looks to install fine - the ActiveX control prompt comes up, and the message says it installed ok. The Yahoo toolbar appears. But still CNET says I have no flash player installed when trying to view one of their videos. And it does not appear as an installed program in Add/Remove programs. Any ideas? Thanks.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

Use Windows System Restore to revert your system state to a previous working condition. (use a date from before you tried to update flash player)

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

Flash player 8 and 9 require the use of uninstaller found here:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...cfm?id=tn_14157

You should also check to see that you have the latest Java installed. Check here:
http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

You do not need to download or install Yahoo tool bar to install Flash.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. Using the Adobe uninstaller worked! Reinstalling Flash got it working then. I was hesitant to do a system restore, cause I had recently installed several things I did not want to lose and have to figure out what to redo, and was even unsure what date to go back to. Thanks again for the assistance!

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

You are welcome, Glad it worked out for you.

PS--Last Saturday was Edgar's birthday. Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 nueces

nueces

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:52 AM

i have had the same problem for months now using IE 6 & 7 - just followed buddy215 instructions from oct - still flash player appears to install but when checking add/remove pgms it does not look like it is and can't use web sites requiring latest flash player - is this an activex or jave seeting in IE problem -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users