Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arch Linux. How to take it for a test drive on usb ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

Spoiler

Running LM 18.3(cinnamon) at present.

I have downloaded 64bit Arch Linux already

Stuck it on a usb using unetbootin.....screen full of gobbledegook (printed command type language)

Could not add to it or change it by typing.....only way to exit was by hard shutdown

Point me in the right direction please.

Edited by Condobloke, 13 May 2018 - 06:25 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Hiya, Brian.

You may not want to go there, mate.... :P

Arch Linux is universally known as a Linux 'power-user's' distro (the premise behind Arch is not so different from that of Gentoo or LFS - Linux From Scratch, really). Its normal installation doesn't use the type of installer GUI you're probably used to; it's all command-line, for a start.....and it's more or less taken for granted that you understand Bash, inside out.

Plus, as I understand it, its software manager (PacMan, I believe) usually expects you to build/compile your packages from scripts that you download, instead of a nice binary, all-included package that you simply click-on to install.

Apparently it's one hell of a system once you have it installed and running.....but you are expected to put a fair amount of effort in to achieve this.

AFAIK there is a more 'user-friendly' version about, but I'm not certain quite what it's called, ATM. Perhaps some of the others can point you in the right direction.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- Have a look at Manjaro (I know Madman uses this) or Antergos. You'll find them a whole lot nicer to use.....honest! Both based on Arch, but much easier to work with...

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 13 May 2018 - 11:56 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

I've installed Manjaro to VM in the past, and it's pretty straight forward, though a tiny bit more involved than something like say Ubuntu. Not tried Antergos yet, but I've just DLd the iso file, so I'll give that a go, and get back to you once I've had a play.

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

Update ...... couldn't get Antergos to install on VM.  Loads OK, and the install procedure seems fairly straight forward (I liked the fact that you can choose what "desktop" you want to use), but the installer faulted out after I'd given the final commitment to install.

So at this point I'm unable to give any real comment on what it's like to use as an OS.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

Yeah arch is not a live distro, its a hard liner command line RTFM distro not meant for new users or ones wanting to test it out.

Now there are distros based on arch that you can use to test out via a VM or live.

I personally suggest Manjaro as its my distribution at this current time.

Manjaro not only offers a rather nice live installer but is very good on most hardware I try it on.

It has three main flavors, KDE, XFCE and gnome shell.

It also has several community versions such as cinnamon, deepin, budgie, lxde, MATE and more.

There is also antergos but I have never been a big fan of antergos.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 May 2018 - 03:35 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,347 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

Plus, as I understand it, its software manager (PacMan, I believe) usually expects you to build/compile your packages from scripts that you download, instead of a nice binary, all-included package that you simply click-on to install.

Actually there are plenty of binaries in pacman, its AUR that has the dubious issue of some packages needing to be compiled.

and AUR has many command line backends such as yaourt and trizen

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 May 2018 - 03:44 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

Life just wasn't meant to be simple....apparently not this time anyway.

Ok Mike and Madman.......semi convinced....I will take manjaro for a spin

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,347 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

Well if coming from mint i will recommend the community cinnamon edition:

https://manjaro.org/community-editions/

I used the cinnamon edition almost exclusively over the last three or so years, now i use KDE.

Its package manager pamac is really good for getting your feet wet in manjaro, its a fantastic frontend for pacman.

If you need chrome you may wish to consider this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories#herecura

and this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories

otherwise if you want other packages not found in the repo there is the ability to enable aur in pamac.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 May 2018 - 08:27 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

Sorry missed this

Brian try this

USB flash installation media - ArchWiki - Arch Linux

Welcome to the slightly " darker " side.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,347 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

Slightly darker side?

Arch linux isnt just dark, its full on black.

In fact its so black its blacker than black.

Even a black hole shines like the sun in comparison.

Its the kind of black that makes the song "paint it black" sound like a happy go lucky pop song.

Dont go into the blackness, there be monsters there.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#11 iiSplitzii

iiSplitzii

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

But here in Arch, we have cookies, ice cream, DEATH, and lots and lots of free food xDDD

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:18 AM

Actually there are plenty of binaries in pacman, its AUR that has the dubious issue of some packages needing to be compiled.

and AUR has many command line backends such as yaourt and trizen

Ah. Thanks for the 'update', Madman. I stand corrected.

Never having tried it personally, I'm only going from anecdotal evidence.....but even at that, I'd heard plenty of 'darkside' tales about Arch. Enough, at any rate, to know that it wasn't ever going to be my 'cup of tea'.

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users