Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU can overclock memory but not core

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ivann700

Ivann700

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:22 AM

https://imgur.com/a/mAtDBj7

So i cant overclock the core, i can oc only my memory. And also, i noticed that it doesnt downclock when not used, its just forced to run at full speed. And its heater than normal.

Bananas never lose...

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, AntiVirus: ESET NOD32, Firewall: Nothing lol, PC: Fujitsu Esprimo P5731, CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Mobo: Fujitsu D3011-A1, RAM: DDR3 4GB @ 666 MHz (But really), Storage: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB 7K RPM SATA II + WD Blue 1 TB SATA III
GPU: nVidia GT710 2 GB @ 1251 MHz, Sound: That ricer, stuff, PSU: 300W OEM, Case: Fujitsu P5731

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:02 AM

Does your posted image indicate you haven't increased voltage or power limit at all?

That card is designed for low power consumption (19W), so I think it's likely you won't get any core overclocking without enabling higher power consumption.

Someone here:

https://www.quora.com/How-much-overclocking-is-safe-I-have-a-Nvidia-GT-710-and-I-want-to-squeeze-more-out-of-it

reports with maximum setting for voltage and power limit, they could get stable +200MHz

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Ivann700

Ivann700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:36 AM

He didnt increase the voltage either, And i got 300+ mhz before and now its locked in same clock speeds and generating heat for no reason.

Bananas never lose...

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, AntiVirus: ESET NOD32, Firewall: Nothing lol, PC: Fujitsu Esprimo P5731, CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Mobo: Fujitsu D3011-A1, RAM: DDR3 4GB @ 666 MHz (But really), Storage: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB 7K RPM SATA II + WD Blue 1 TB SATA III
GPU: nVidia GT710 2 GB @ 1251 MHz, Sound: That ricer, stuff, PSU: 300W OEM, Case: Fujitsu P5731

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:18 AM

Ah, I think I got that mixed up with another thread mentioning power limit.

So you were able to get that overclocking previously at default volts and without increasing power limit? Can you attach any system change to when this started happening? Driver updates...?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

With the meager info here, I think the fault is the MOBO has locked the BIOS settings to default and the unit is still running hotter than normal, even after returning to the "normal" settings.  This is one of many faults that can happen when overclocking.  It not only boosts speed to the desired devices, but generates a lot of extra heat, in the devices and any peripheral chips that are involved.  This can push them beyond specs and damage the chip to the extent it runs hotter, even when at rated speeds.

#6 Ivann700

Ivann700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

No, no noticable system changes were made. But why it didnt locked down memory clock? And also, it doesnt downclock the memory either. Kind strange, but can i ever "unlock" the chip?

Bananas never lose...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users