Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 safe mode with networking problem

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DesperateChris

DesperateChris

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:16 AM

in safe mode I can connect to the network wirelessly and with LAN no problem. It says connected but no internet access, In normal mode everything is fine, I have internet. I have tried everything suggested on google, but they just talk about connecting to the network which I can do.. I have the latest update 1803 but it was the same with the previous version, I thought the update might fix it but no. Does anyone have any suggestions why this is please?

Regards

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:38 AM

DesperateChris:

Have you tried the instructions in this post?

You should not have any issues if you use a wired connection, unless you had a helpful friend like this person.

Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#3 DesperateChris

DesperateChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for the reply Phil, as I said though I can connect to the router in safe mode no problem. It says connected but no internet access!

Regards

Chris

#4 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

Chris:

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I live in rural Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada, and the Internet service is lousy.  I have just rebooted my computer, and the modem, five times, to get back online - a common occurrence, while I was attempting to research your problem.  Ironically, suddenly I had no Internet access researching your Internet access problem!! :)

I did come across this article.  I am assuming that you have have googled: "safe mode with networking no internet windows 10".  Lots of hits there, but not a lot of definitive answers! :(

Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#5 DesperateChris

DesperateChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

tried that Phil didn't work. Thank you for your interest though.

Regards

Chris

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Chris,

I haven't had time to follow-up on the suggestions yet, but also see the closely related thread I posted in this very forum regarding this very issue in both Version 1803 and 1709.  At the moment it's the one right after yours.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 DesperateChris

DesperateChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

thanks Brian

#8 DesperateChris

DesperateChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

Brian I have tried all that even with a LAN cable. It makes no difference. I get wireless networks are available as usual .I click on my usual one it says connected but no internet access. I disable Wifi and it says connected with the LAN cable but also no internet access. i have been struggling with this for ages. I want to run an online antivirus checker just to be sure I haven't picked something up and now I'm wondering if a virus could be causing this to stop me removing it.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,790 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

My guess is that this is a bug of some kind, pure and simple.   I have absolutely no reason to believe that any of the machines in my home (and there are 5 total, but I've only tried Safe Mode recently on 2) have any sort of infection.  That this is occurring on one machine running Version 1709 and another running 1803 strongly suggests a bug to me.   There may be workarounds that work sometimes, but a fully functioning system shouldn't require workarounds.

I'll have to try this on some of the other boxes to see if anything's any different, but I doubt it will be.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

Can you connect if you create a new local user account. When you are in safe mode with networking are there any yellow exclamation marks next to your Network adapters in Device Manager?

#11 DesperateChris

DesperateChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

I've tried making a new user administrator account as that has been suggested but it again made no difference. Worse than that when I went back into normal mode that also now said no internet access! Luckily, I had made a disk image backup so reinstalling that restored the situation. I don't like to be defeated but this really is annoying. I presume that internet in safe mode in windows 10just works for everybody else?

yes there are exclamation marks bye the way

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

If there are exclamation marks next to the network adapters in Safe Mode that could be why you are not connected to the internet. If you double click the network adapter with the yellow exclamation mark it should give a summary of what the problem is.

#13 DesperateChris

DesperateChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

You made me think Brian so I went back into safe mode to check I was wrong there aren't any excamation marks in device manager against the network adapter, the only exclamation mark is against the network icon on the task bar on the desktop

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,790 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

If there are exclamation marks next to the network adapters in Safe Mode that could be why you are not connected to the internet. If you double click the network adapter with the yellow exclamation mark it should give a summary of what the problem is.

John,

I haven't yet had time to do my next experiments with Safe Mode, but why *should* there be any difference in how the network device behaves in Safe Mode and regular mode?  Same device, same driver.  

This is a serious, "I don't understand why or how there could or should be a difference," question.

~ Mark Twain

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:10 PM

There shouldn't be any difference. That is why I don't understand why there are yellow exclamation marks, if next to any network adapter, in Safe Mode and not Normal Mode. 

It does seem to be somewhat of a command problem in Windows 10 though.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=no+internet+windows+10+safe+mode+with+networking

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 May 2018 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users