Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Failing to fully shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Smarty891

Smarty891

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:31 AM

Hey everyone.

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the right thread.

I have been having this problem for some time now and I have no idea why it is happening.
Its only been happening since updating to windows 10 (Wasnt straight way) 

Basically - When I shut down my PC (Start - Power - Shutdown) my PC will execute the shutdown procedure. Everything will close and it will begin logging off. Soon after that my 2 screens, mouse, keyboard and any other USB devices turn off. However, the pc continues to run. all the fans/lights/GPU/HD are still running. 

When it gets to this state I am unable to turn it back on (keypress on the keyboard or pushing the power button/reset button) 
I am also unable to turn it off (Long press power button) - The ONLY way I can turn it off and back on again is by switching the power off at the wall.
When I restart it, it seems like it didn't shut down properly (Web pages say "Chrome didn't shut down properly last time, restore pages" yadda yadda.

I am running Windows 10 64bit:
I7 - 4770 CPU
Gigabyte b85m-d3h ver 1.1 MB
Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 GPU
16gb Ram

Yes, everything is running the latest drivers. 
Any help/theories would be much appreciated

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

a lot of time it's just because of the clutter.  time to clean house.

download from www.piriform.com ccleaner and run it.  don't use the registry cleaner portion because if it corrupts your registry then you have a entire set of new issues to deal with.

so after you install ccleaner run it, do the analyze and it will see what need cleaned up, then do the cleaning.

this will remove temp folder and unnecessary stuff installed on your system and will probably help with shutting down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users