Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Graphics Driver Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

I'm working on this HP dv7-3183c and am a total noob to all this graphics stuff.  Sure I've heard and read all kinds of posts saying to use the Driver from the OEM as that is the one that is designed for the pc.  I've tried a few different things over the years as far as graphics drivers, and believe it or not have good luck with MS Drivers over the OEM ones. 

Just did a Clean Install of Windows 7-64bit Retail version, so had to install all the drivers, and always wonder if I would get better performance with the newer drivers straight from Nvidia.  I've done mostly older, lower end AMD stuff, and the MS Drivers always seem to work the best on those.  Now been working on more old Nvidia stuff so need to learn a little.  Unfortunately the MS Drivers don't tell you a version number that coincides with Nvidia, ditto the HP Drivers.  I see that the MS Driver is from 2016, but Nvidia has very current drivers available, just this month, May 9th.

So now I have a few questions if you guys don't mind.  I don't need the real Technical Scoop, but maybe just the layman's run down.

Computer Spec Link

This is the model: NVIDIA GeForce G105M 

1. Is there any benefit to using the latest driver from Nvidia?  I suppose so, but when would it matter?

I do notice some screen tearing (but very little) while scrolling in Google Chrome. 

2. Why are they still making drivers for this old hardware?  

Just last month they Updated it again, and quite often.  Is this a security thing?

3. Is the MS Driver actually from Nvidia?

And any other info that would help me understand what, why, when and where I should be installing some current drivers.  This an't no super computer LOL, and it an't no gaming machine, but it is a nice little pc, and something good for me to learn about Nvidia on.  It's sucks to work on some of these donated computers, and then have to donate them forward, after all the work done on them I start to appreciate them even more.  Gen One i5 and a 17" screen an't so bad on this old laptop!

Thanks guys

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:01 AM

Just did a Clean Install of Windows 7-64bit Retail version, so had to install all the drivers, and always wonder if I would get better performance with the newer drivers straight from Nvidia.  I've done mostly older, lower end AMD stuff, and the MS Drivers always seem to work the best on those.  Now been working on more old Nvidia stuff so need to learn a little.  Unfortunately the MS Drivers don't tell you a version number that coincides with Nvidia, ditto the HP Drivers.  I see that the MS Driver is from 2016, but Nvidia has very current drivers available, just this month, May 9th.

Thanks guys

When I do a clean install I will give the loaded drivers a chance and see how the computer preforms using them and if everything is working well and I experience zero problems with the Microsoft installed driver I use it.  :thumbup2:

Just because Microsoft issues an newer driver if the Microsoft installed driver is working without problems than I leave the Microsoft installed driver alone.  :thumbup2:

Edited by The-Toolman, 13 May 2018 - 06:02 AM.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:20 AM

1. Is there any benefit to using the latest driver from Nvidia?  

2. Why are they still making drivers for this old hardware?  

3. Is the MS Driver actually from Nvidia?

This an't no super computer LOL, and it an't no gaming machine, but it is a nice little pc, 

Thanks guys

Most drivers used by Microsoft are classified as  Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQLwhich means it has to be tested and certified before it goes into Microsoft's stash and is used by Microsoft.

As for any advantage to using a driver from the manufacturer or oem I found from my own experience to try it and see.

The only difference I've found is the extra added bells and whistles and perhaps monitoring software and tuning / tweaking software.

I don't care for certain oem drivers as most always seem to add their oem bloatware.

Why are they still make drivers for this old hardware?  :scratchhead:

Why Not.

Not everyone buys new computers and hardware every couple of years only those who want to have the newest computer available.

If all works well OOTB leave a working computer alone and that for some is a rough task.

Edited by The-Toolman, 13 May 2018 - 06:43 AM.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

Thanks Toolman!  Still don't know why they are making Windows 7 drivers for such and old GPU LOL.  And if so how would I know what the new one has to offer.

I do the same TTM, use the one MS provides and have always had good luck!  When even I change to the pc oem things are worse.  If I have time I'll try the newest latest from Nvidia and see if there is any difference.  The one in there now has no Nvidia Suite that will open for me.  There is the icon in the task bar, and even Right clicking on it and selecting to open it won't open.

see ya

Edited by pcpunk, 13 May 2018 - 08:32 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Toolman!  Still don't know why they are making Windows 7 drivers for such and old GPU LOL.  And if so how would I know what the new one has to offer.

Who cares why they are still making drivers for Windows 7, Hmm maybe because Windows 7 is still being sold and used, oh and still supported that may have something to do with it.  :scratchhead:

:idea: If you want to know what the new driver offers than go to whatever manufacturer is and look up what you have and check out the release notes for the new driver as to what has been changed or added.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

So your saying the changes in the Drivers are for the Windows side of the equation, and not as much for the GPU?  Changes made to allow an old GPU to work with ongoing changes to Windows 7 I guess?  I wasn't thinking much was changing with Windows 7, but I suppose there are changes with it all the time.

Here we go, just as I thought:

"This driver adds security updates for driver components of Tesla architecture class GPUs."

I did make a mistake though, I was looking at the wrong driver on the Nvidia site.  This one actually has the same date as the MS one I installed, so I think I'm all good here...whoops.

342.01 - WHQL
Release Date Wed Dec 14, 2016
Operating System Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Language English (US)
File Size 292.47 MB

Edited by pcpunk, 13 May 2018 - 04:52 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

When I was using Windows I just used what came with Windows OS or Windows update and never had any complaints or problems.

It seems in my experience using manufacture oem drivers they would work but always had some little quirk about them.  :scratchhead: 

I stuck with the Microsoft Windows WHQL driver which always worked 100%.  :thumbup2:

Just because a driver comes out don't mean you need to install it and as for the Nvidia Suite your're better off without as it has always been buggy and problematic.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

When it comes to graphics drivers I go to the chip manufacturer. For your G105M this is the latest driver for Windows 7 64bit and 8 64bit.

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/112598

If you have Windows 10:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/112600

Edit: I missed your post. If your driver version is the same as the Nvidia then as you say, your all set. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 May 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

I did find the driver John, eventually, I'm just a little ADD when I go to those driver sites.  Some of them are just a little disorienting to me.  Must have clicked on the wrong one by accident.

It is interesting to me that the one MS gave me does not have access to the "Suite" or whatever they call it in Nvidia speak, good enough, as I don't need it.  Pretty good graphics for an old laptop really, with minimal screen tearing, but only when scrolling fast on some web pages.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

The nice thing about the suite is it can be tweaked for performance or quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users