Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Cuts Out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

My pc runs just fine.. however.. every once in a while he sound just cuts.. no wierd noises, no popping, just silence. all applications operate normally. just without sound. there is no peripheral sound card its, running off onboard sound from the motherboard. so my question is, is it a driver problem? Bad connection? Mobo slowly dying? Im lost on this one

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Do you have the latest drivers for the audio components on your motherboard? Are you using the latest version of Direct X. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Check the connection between the speakers and your sound card to ensure that they are secure.

How long have you had this problem?
JC

#3 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

The connections are fine I disconnect and connect the cord when it happens to make sure. I know I have the latest versions of Direct X (I use my PC Mainly for gaming and music) The drivers for audio im not usre if those are up to date... Im not sure how long Ive had this problem it only happens every once in awhile. But I say like a year maybe.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:30 PM

Since it is not happening all the time, and it just occurs once in a while, take note of what is running/and what is connected to your computer just prior to to your sound cutting off. Is it right after exiting a game, or after closing a program? Do you have any errors showing in the Event Viewer around the time that this occurs?

What type of motherboard do you have?
JC

#5 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:13 PM

it doesnt matter what im running.... Falcon 4.0 WoW Explorere browser... and my anti virus stuff in the background. I alos dont know how to view the event viewer...

Here is my Motherboard

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

From the web link that you provided, it appears that the Sound on board driver was released on 2006/07/07.

Driver Name RealTek Codec Sound on board driver
Version 3.90(6120)
Release Date 2006/07/07

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/Prod...tailName=Driver

We do have a mini-guide on the Event Viewer. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
JC

#7 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

Maybe I did update drivers then... Cuz I got the board in like 04-05

so what would I look for in Event Viewer?

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Since your not familiar with the Event Viewer, let's forget about it for now. It would be useful if you experience an issue with your sound again to be able to check the Event viewer to see if there are any hints of why this happened. I have found it useful with some issues, but with this particular issue, it may not be as helpful. It might not even log anything when this occurs, but you can never cross out any steps that may give you a clue of why you are having a problem. At the end of this post, I will give you a few more links so you can have a better understanding of the Event Viewer.

I want you to verify that you have the latest driver for your integrated sound device.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
2. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
3. Double-click the Sound, Video and Game Controllers icon.
4. Find and Double click on the RealTek device that is part of your computer.
5. Click the Driver tab.
6. Verify that you have the latest version of the driver mentioned above.

If you do not have the latest driver, please reply back with the version and date of your driver.

Event Viewer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
Using Event Viewer
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users