Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a brain simulate a PC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ivann700

Ivann700

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Not asking if a PC can emulate our brain, but if our brain can emulate a PC

Bananas never lose...

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, AntiVirus: ESET NOD32, Firewall: Nothing lol, PC: Fujitsu Esprimo P5731, CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Mobo: Fujitsu D3011-A1, RAM: DDR3 4GB @ 666 MHz (But really), Storage: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB 7K RPM SATA II + WD Blue 1 TB SATA III
GPU: nVidia GT710 2 GB @ 1251 MHz, Sound: That ricer, stuff, PSU: 300W OEM, Case: Fujitsu P5731

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:54 AM

I think a brain can do most things a computer can do, but not as fast.

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Not asking if a PC can emulate our brain, but if our brain can emulate a PC

Errr, why would a brain want to do that?
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

A mathematical prodigy with a lobotomy might come close.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Post #1, definitely, given enough time and a convenient way to store numbers (in effect a paper and pencil RAM). Back before modern electronic computers complex maths, physics and enginerring calculations, such as those for the manhattan project, the early part of the space race, they were used to calculate things like planetary positions so astronomical tabels could be drawn up, they were also vital for producing alamanacs to help navigation at sea. The word computer originally meant people hired to perform long lists of calculations, often women for example those at NASA recognised in the film Hidden Figures. All an electronic computer does is rapidly perform calculations on numbers and shift them in and out of various storage locations in various types of memory, a human need only follow a well defined series of rules to replicate this behaviour. Human computers, back in the day, never needed to understand everything about the calculation they worked on, rather they were given simple steps to perform, these steps being defined my a mathematician or scientist who knew the context of the problem they were to solve. Machines can compute faster than humans ever could, and with far lower error rates, but the principle is still the same, define a problem in terms of simple mathematical operations and then have the computer follow rules to solve the problem. The people who worked as computers were exceptionally skilled to work fast enough and free enough of errors to produce useful results, but I dread to think how large a room of them you would need to handle what even the simplest of modern microcontrollers (the tiny computer chips in embedded hardware) can do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_computer

If anyone can find any website trying to approximate the speeds of human computers in a unit like GHz (I can't imagine a single human could even reach 10Hz though, even with an abacus which tends to allow for much faster hand calculation) or megaflops I'd be fascinated to see it.

Edited by rp88, 18 May 2018 - 06:48 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users