Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Coloured Horizontal Lines on Screen

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MaaD

MaaD

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

I can't remember dropping my computer. Now the screen has horizontal coloured lines. I can hear like it;s booting but I am unable to access anything. Can someone suggest what could have caused this?

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2018 - 09:30 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

Hi MaaD:

What is your Windows OS (and is it 32-bit or 64-bit), what is the make and model of your computer, and if it has a discrete graphics card (e.g., NVIDIA GeForce, AMD Radeon, etc.) what is the make/model and current graphics driver version?  If you have a Vista SP2 machine you should be able to find information about any discrete graphics card in the Device Manager (Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Device Manager) under Display Adapters.

Does your screen display works properly if you boot into Safe Mode (for Vista SP2, restart your computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key during the boot-up)?  Booting into Safe Mode should skip the loading of the drivers for any graphics card and force your computer to use the integrated graphics on your motherboard.

Also, is this one of the computers you were posting about in your recent threads After Windows Update, Screen Goes Dark! or Windows 10 Enterprise Activation Problem? It looks like you have at least two different Vista SP2 laptops (HP and Dell) that aren't working correctly since they were upgraded to a Win 10 Enterprise edition.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.0 * Norton Security v22.14.0.54 * Malwarebytes v3.5.1

Edited by lmacri, 12 May 2018 - 03:13 PM.

#3 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

It's Windows Vista Home Premium, Sony Vaio. Can see anything to answer the rest of your questions.It's all horizontal lines. I can hear the Windows "chime" And no, this is not related to any of the post you mentioned. This entirely different!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

I have a feeling this is hardware. Can you take a camera image of the screen and attach it?

#5 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

Hey JohnC_21... here

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, that's definitely a hardware problem. It could be a bad LCD screen, cable, or motherboard. If you squeeze the bezel around the screen does it help?

#7 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Nope!

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:07 AM

In my experience, a symptom like that is almost always in the LCD panel, unfortunately. If it is, it may have been caused by vibration in transit (not necessarily being actually dropped), or sometimes an extreme of temperature or some other indeterminate cause.

If you can connect an external monitor so you can see to operate Windows, and you can have both screens displaying simultaneously, try changing the video resolution. (If there are also lines on an external monitor, the fault is in the laptop's video section.) If the external monitor displays normally, and the lines on the laptop screen remain in the same basic locations when using a different video resolution, the fault is in the LCD panel, or less likely the LVDS cable connection to the panel.

Edited by Platypus, 13 May 2018 - 06:11 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

I have connected an external monitor, but it's impossible to do anything because I would still need to be able to at least see the necessary links on the problem computer to choose certain options,eg,

Personalize Menu > Display Settings>.Identify Monitors. Extend These Displays, Duplicate display, Show Desktop Only on a Single Monitor:

#10 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

MaaD

Try Pressing Fn + F7 on the Sony Vaio to switch output to the external monitor?

Old Rocker

#11 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

That hasn't worked.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:42 AM

If Fn+F7 doesn't move the display between the internal and external screens, then it looks like the fault probably is in the video section of the laptop.

Edited by Platypus, 15 May 2018 - 02:43 AM.

#13 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

Ok, what can I do then?

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

With most laptops, a video fault requires replacement of the mainboard. A few laptops have a video card, like a miniature version of a desktop system, but without knowing the model of the laptop, we can't say which way yours does it.

It would probably be necessary to have the diagnosis confirmed by a workshop in order to be sure exactly what needs to be done to repair the system, and know if it is financially viable. I think if it is a mainboard fault, replacement for a Vaio would be very expensive.

#15 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

I guess I have to take it to a repair shop!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users