Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop high CPU usage when connected to AC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hello guys. I have been having this issue for a few days in my HP EliteBook 6930p. I am using the latest BIOS (F.20).

What's the issue?

In Windows, Arch and BIOS the CPU goes to over 90% when idle if the computer is charging (this obviously slows everything to a crawl). Then I disconnect it and magically drops to well under 50%, and performance increases.

When did this start?

The problem appeared while I was compiling some software in Arch Linux. Everything got slow and has been happening ever since.

What did I try?

1. Updating the BIOS and rebooting.
  2. Disconnecting the computer, removing the battery and holding the power button for 30s.
  3. Restoring BIOS to default settings.

Misc

• Sometimes in Windows there is a process called "System Idle Process" that can use up to 80% of CPU. Various other "lightweight" tasks like taskmgr can get unusually high CPU usage (above 50%). Again, this only happens in AC.
  • Windows is up to date.

Updates

(I leave this empty just in case some info is requested later I'll add it here)

Has anyone experienced this? Any pointers on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks everyone!

Edited by SupermanPrime, 12 May 2018 - 01:08 PM.

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

I've had a slightly similar problem in the past, but i'm not sure it's your case, since it was connected to Windows Update problems, and you seem to be fine on that side.

Basically my case was: WU kicked in with looking for updates and mantainance in a loop, only in AC, otherwise it wouldn't give any problem.

This way i always had really high cpu usage, even when idle.

I've solved the problem by disabling WU services temporary, then i reinstalled Windows 10 (previously i had upgraded from W8) and everything worked fine.

You could try to see if it's your case by disabling WU services and see if it makes any differences.

#3 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

Hello friend.

I'm afraid that won't work for me, since it happens in Arch Linux, and even in the BIOS. However, the problem went away on its own, somehow.

Thanks for your response!

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2018 - 01:30 PM.

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users