Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old comp died trying to put data on new one

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 leonpiper69

leonpiper69

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:15 PM

So the old laptop kinda crapped out and i may have it up and running soon but I hadn't back where i am stuck is data.

So I picked up an external case and took apart the old laptop (I think the power port is bad and ordered a new one but won't have that for at least a few days) and tossed the 2.5" drive in the case and hooked it up to the new laptop I just bought today.

i got all my old family pictures etc off of it fine. but I have a program I use to create invoices and keep track of sales tax etc (I have a really small business I do on the side). And I just don't want to lose all that stuff. I want to keep using that program on the new laptop seamlessly.

I imported all the files but and even installed a new copy of the program (it's cheap software called Bookkeeper) and when I open it, all my data is gone. I was kinda hoping it would just be there but I knew it was a long shot.

So I thought about trying to clone the old drive but the old laptop is windows 8 HP Pavilion and the new one is a Lenovo ideapad 320 with windows 10 so I imagine the drives will not let that work.

So is there a way to import the data from the old drive to make everything still be there?

Once I have the old comp up and running (assuming it's only the power port) I can do an up to date back up with the back up feature I guess and then try to restore it.

Any input would be appreciated as I am not computer savvy at all. 

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2018 - 04:10 PM.
Moved from System Bldg to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:04 AM

you need to use a backed up data base.

If you can get your old pc to boot up with the original Book Keeper software, create a back up of the data base on a thumb drive or another medium that you can put onto the newer pc (Use Book Keeper to make this data base back up) , Then install Book Keeper on the new pc and restore the backed up data base you created using the Book Keeper software. If this was used for your business, you should have been making back ups of your data base on a daily or weekly basis, If you haven't then you need to start asap

From Avanquest:

http://support.avanquest.com/support/solutions/articles/1000076254-how-do-i-transfer-my-invoices-from-one-pc-to-another-kb012035-

Edited by Joe C, 14 May 2018 - 06:38 AM.

#3 leonpiper69

leonpiper69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

I should have mentioned I do have a backup. But i had not been good about doing backups as often as I should have. The latest backup I have is from the end of november last year and I did get that up and running. 

I was asking about ways to basically boot from the old drive but I have learned through reading that the drivers will be diff so that isn't an option right now. If I had another of the same EXACT old laptop I could get it to boot from the now external drive I made.

I ordered the power port and will put the laptop back together. Hopefully it will fire and I can do a current backup and be good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users