Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malewarebytes Premium

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

My premium version of MWB is ending. Do you think its worth paying for the real-time protection of the premium over the free edition?

I read an article where someone said that Avast Antivirus free edition is good enough and some think MWB Premium isn't worth it. It's like preventing you from getting attacked real-time vs scanning your computer and trying to remove the maleware afterwards. Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

I no longer recommend avast as a free alternative anti-virus solution...I explain why in this topic.

See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes 3.x Premium.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

Well, I am going to report a data point from two days ago that raises concerns for me about Malwarebytes Premium.

A client had malware on his machine (if memory serves, searchnu.com redirect) so I downloaded Malwarebytes, which starts with a trial of Premium.  The machine also has Sophos and runs Windows 10.

Malwarebytes did its usual sterling job of removing the malware, but after it was done and we restarted we could not get out to the internet at all from any browser.  When I checked under Windows 10 Security it showed both Malwarebytes and Sophos as running and as antivirus.  Once I removed Malwarebytes access to the internet was restored.

This is the first time I have run in to this sort of conflict, but I doubt it will be the last.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

Using this setting may help:

"Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action center "

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

By default, Malwarebytes automatically decides whether or not to register itself with Windows Action Center settings based on your system. You can override this behavior in Malwarebytes > Settings > Application tab and choose to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre"MB3andWAC_1.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

My problem is that the Malwarebytes folks say, "Malwarebytes Premium for Windows now has the capability to register in Windows Action Center, allowing users to configure Malwarebytes as their primary security solution, or to run alongside their third party antivirus application."   Then, later, regarding the default setting:  

Let Malwarebytes apply the best Windows Action Center settings based on your system (recommended)

• By default (and during install time), Malwarebytes is configured in compatibility mode. This setting configures Malwarebytes to co-exist with a present antivirus solution, and registers if no antivirus solution is present.

The problem being there is something wrong with how Malwarebytes is deciding "no antivirus solution is present."  The system I was installing it on had (and still has Sophos) installed on it and that installation was in place before installing Malwarebytes.  Sophos shows up in the Action Center and Windows Defender knows it's present and puts itself into, "I'm not running as the primary antivirus" mode.  If Windows Defender can see Sophos, Malwarebytes should certainly be seeing it as well and installing itself in "coexist" mode.  It didn't, or at least whatever it did was problematic if this was "coexist" mode.  It was shown as running as the system antivirus and Sophos was as well.  A definite no-no.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

Hi all!

FWIW, when Sophos Home was launched, an Authorized Sophos Representative named AlexSOPHOS created a thread in this very subforum, in which another BC member named Winterland, asked: Does Sophos play well with others?, here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605694/sophos-home-totally-free-antivirus-for-home/?p=3937196

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 May 2018 - 07:07 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Hi all!

FWIW, when Sophos Home was launced, an Authorized Sophos Representative named AlexSOPHOS created a thread in this very subforum, in which another BC member named Winterland, asked: Does Sophos play well with others?, here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605694/sophos-home-totally-free-antivirus-for-home/?p=3937196

Regards,
midimusicman79

Thanks for the pointer to that thread, as it is interesting.

In this case, however, it's somewhat irrelevant to my question, which is why Malwarebytes registered itself with the security center, and as an antivirus, when another was installed and running already (and also registered as such with the security center).  That seems like a bug to me.

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hi again, britechguy!

Well, it is just a reference to Sophos Home vs. Malwarebytes, and that is why I used the abbreviation FWIW, as I realize it does not address your question.

As you already know, the new version of Malwarebytes, 3.5.1.2522, was released on May 09, 2018, a day before your client's issue occurred, so it may be a bug which is yet to be reported.

And as such, and with all due respect, I would recommend posting a new thread in the official Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum, here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-3-support-forum/

Otherwise, I am sure quietman7 knows the developer of Malwarebytes, so maybe he can point the developer to this thread.

BTW, I managed to find a Malwarebytes support article which might contain some information about your client's issue, here:

Can Malwarebytes resolve issues with my browser or Internet connectivity?

An infection can cause you to lose your Internet connection. Malwarebytes does not fix issues you may be experiencing with your web browser or Internet connectivity.

If you're experiencing issues..., you may need to restore your browser or Internet connection manually.

To help resolve browser or Internet connection issues, see the suggestions below.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 14 May 2018 - 10:48 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#10 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

Are there free programs that do what MWB premium does real time?

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:21 PM

Are there free programs that do what MWB premium does real time?

I am not positive, but I think that Zemana's free version has a realtime scanning component.

#12 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:23 PM

I just checked and the Zemana free edition does not have real time protection

https://www.zemana.com/en-US/AntiMalware

I read that Bitdefender free is good but I am not sure if it has real time protection when you browse websites.  It looks like it is anti virus program not anti malware program.  When trying to install bitdefender, it says I must first uninstall Malwarebytes free edition.  Should I do that?

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/bitdefender-antivirus-free-edition

AVG free is also recommended.

Edited by irvineboy, 14 May 2018 - 10:43 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:42 AM

...I read that Bitdefender free is good but I am not sure if it has real time protection when you browse websites.  It looks like it is anti virus program not anti malware program.  When trying to install bitdefender, it says I must first uninstall Malwarebytes free edition.  Should I do that?...

I already answered your questions in your other topic.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

I also don't really "get" why anyone believes that they need to have realtime scanning for any and every possible threat.  Your best defense is to develop good habits for safely interacting with cyberspace.  I have antivirus (all of which pretty much have realtime scanning these days) and antimalware on my computer.  Neither has had a positive detection in decades (now plural).  These tools are there to clean up, usually after an end user screws up by doing something they should not have done in the first place.  Very few infections of any sort "sneak on" to a computer, they're generally invited in by the actions a user chooses to take, particularly clicking where they shouldn't click and downloading what they shouldn't download if they took a few moments to think first.

Our own Quietman7  has written extensively on the subject of security.  The following are three "must reads:"

#15 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

Hi again, all!

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-center/threat-analyses/controlled-applications/Malwarebytes%20AntiMalware.aspx

According to the article above, Sophos Home by default considers Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to be a threat, and as such, it controls and possibly blocks Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from working properly as well.

Although the said article does not specifically mention it, it is likely that Sophos Home also controls and possibly blocks Malwarebytes from working properly as well.

Additionally, in the past, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (and Malwarebytes) generally recommended users to disable their Anti-Virus and Firewall prior to installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (and Malwarebytes).

As such, it is likely that Malwarebytes would work properly if the above-mentioned recommendations were to be followed.

Regards,
midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users