Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sec25

sec25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

Hi. Advice would be really nice.

I bought a new wireless router(Mercusys-only one they had) and I the setup seems real simple, but after doing some googling, I see I might need to enter my ISPs username and PW and address and other stuff.

Is this necessary or will it be automatic? 
I need to know cuz I won;t have net access.
What will they ask for apart from ISP username and PW?

I don;t have a modem, just a cable.

I;m changing routers just in case the other one is compromised so I need to disconnect the old one completely. 
If the new router doesnt request all the ISP stuff, does that mean I am still somehow using the old router and that compromises security? Should it ask for the ISP stuff? 
I also read that if it doesn;t, it means Im just using the router;s wifi and not my cable connection.

Process(cable, no modem)
Turn off old router, take out cables.. should I disconnect the router from PC or ath else?
Insert power line and cable connection into new router, wait and turn on. 

Then I get different info on routers web page which i think i can easily access. Dunno about isp stuff.

Thanks!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

What type of Internet connection do you have? (Cable, DSL, Dial Up)

If it is cable it should be as simple as connecting your cable modem to the router's WAN port.

If it is DSL you will probably need to enter your user name and password for the DSL.  They most likely have a web page with all of the information you'll need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users