Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Access 2007 Runtime

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrNovi

MrNovi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but it seems to be the most appropriate one so here goes. I know that MS Access 2007 went EOL last year so no security updates will be forth coming. What I'm not sure of is how the MS Access 2007 Runtime is affected by all of this. My gut tells me that it is also EOL and non supported so that it presents a security risk. The reason I am asking is that my church is preparing to transfer to a new accounting program which uses the 2007 Runtime and will not run on anything newer and has no intentions of changing that. How much of a security risk is it to use the 2007 Runtime? And if it is a risk, does it make sense that the rest of the accounting software is suspect?

My fear is that since this is Church software that the developers are using the "God will protect you" security model (I've run into that before on church related software).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I trust BleepingComputer with security related issues and considered this the site to be the best source of information on this.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrNovi

MrNovi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

If no one knows the answer, can they please point me towards a forum or source that might?

#3 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

You can find a list of vulnerabilities reported for MS Access here. It appears that most of the vulnerabilities have been mitigated, provided that the developer of said accounting software supports the latest access 2007 runtime service pack. The Access 2007 runtime is a way for application developers to distribute their applications using an MS Access database without having the end user install the full MS Access program.

Of course, anything that is EOL will not have any new security updates if new vulnerabilities were discovered so you need to consider that as well. My opinion would be to find an accounting program that is more up to date, unless there are specific features of this "church software" that are needed over some other generic accounting software.

#4 MrNovi

MrNovi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

Thank you. That's what I've been trying to tell the Pastor. But he's having difficulties finding a reasonably priced alternative that is as easy for non accountants to use so he's still considering it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users