Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted windows?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Drj312

Drj312

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

In a previous question, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/672913/computer-fails-to-boot/page-2#entry4463510) I described how my computer wouldn't boot. After no progress, I bought a new SSD. I restored my macrium backup image to the new SSD, and it still wouldn't boot. The computer would not recognize a boot device at all. Next, I tried a fresh windows install on the new ssd. The computer successfully booted into the windows installation.

So what exactly is going on here? Why won't the the computer boot with the old windows installation? What can I try to do to fix that? Is there another way to transfer my macrium backup image to the new installation of windows?

The previous installation and new installation are both windows 10.

Edited by Drj312, 11 May 2018 - 12:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

I have no idea why this worked but I ran

bcdboot N:\windows /s M:

with the relevant drives as described here. I ran bootrec fixmbr and fixboot after that but I don't know if those actually did actually.

and now it boots again!!!!!!!! Nothing was lost either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users