Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Looking for advice on new laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hebbocake

Hebbocake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

Laptop or Desktop?

Laptop

My budget for the new computer is:
Max 1300 euros, but preferably around 1000-1100.

What are the primary uses for this computer?

Standard schoolwork, running multiple virtual machines (3-4), watching movies and gaming.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Virtualbox, Steam, Fairly new FPS games, office and packet tracer.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

I live in the Netherlands.

Do you need peripherals? OS?

No.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

Old Lenovo Y50 (2014) Screen is damaged.

My school has as recommendation that I have 16gb RAM, a big harddisk with good speed and an I7. (Or something comparable.) I am also looking for good build quality since it's going to go through much abuse in my bag and at school, a nice IPS screen and good speakers.

I would like for it to not look too "gamer". And have an RJ45 network port. (But this is not essential since I can also use an adapter.) It would also be nice if it is lighter and thinner than my old  Lenovo, but I could live with it not being that. Battery life isn't that important. It's nice to have good battery life, but I was always tethered to the wall with my old one, so I'm not that bothered.

A good GPU would be great, but I'm already satisfied with my 960M. So anything around that or better is good.

I myself am looking at something like this: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/855713/hp-pavilion-power-15-cb040nd/specificaties/

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

Personally I would recommend the Dell XPS 15 with the biggest SSD you can afford. For me these are fast and have a great design and are my go to for high end laptops for work.

You can pick them up here for around £1200 but not sure what they equates to any whether it is cheaper wherever you are. Here is a link to a UK site https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-xps-15-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-1050-15-6-full-hd-silver/p3262318?sku=236999225&s_kwcid=2dx92700024307468091&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKCAjw_tTXBRBsEiwArqXyMu0rQlIQBWawbePOlWUm7gNcrc6khKRuPqe8SF71VQggVObj_tUf7hoCli4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you want to splash out you can also go for the 1TB with 4k screen but it probably isn't needed just a bit of a gimmick :wink:

#3 Hebbocake

Hebbocake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

Personally I would recommend the Dell XPS 15 with the biggest SSD you can afford. For me these are fast and have a great design and are my go to for high end laptops for work.

You can pick them up here for around £1200 but not sure what they equates to any whether it is cheaper wherever you are. Here is a link to a UK site https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-xps-15-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-1050-15-6-full-hd-silver/p3262318?sku=236999225&s_kwcid=2dx92700024307468091&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKCAjw_tTXBRBsEiwArqXyMu0rQlIQBWawbePOlWUm7gNcrc6khKRuPqe8SF71VQggVObj_tUf7hoCli4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you want to splash out you can also go for the 1TB with 4k screen but it probably isn't needed just a bit of a gimmick :wink:

Not enough storage and ram for the price, sadly. I need at the very least 500gbs but 1000 is more comfortable. But that with the XPS is way too expensive.

#4 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:07 PM

Not enough storage and ram for the price, sadly. I need at the very least 500gbs but 1000 is more comfortable. But that with the XPS is way too expensive.

Have you priced out a refurbished model? We sell a lot of those at our shop... It helps keep the costs down, and you can usually find them with a 1 year warranty included so that helps cover you if something fails. Usually if something is going to fail it will do so in the first month ( Most commonly I need a different battery for the refurb) but a 1 yr warranty is what you get new as well so it covers your basis as far as that goes too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users