Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NickWUK

NickWUK

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

I had a blue screen the other day on a Win7 PC, followed by 2 reboots overnight. Then today I found that Event Viewer would not display anything. So I checked in Services and found the Event service was not started and would not start, it gave Event Log Error 4201 which when Googled led me to check the security properties for the RtBackup directory, I found that the SYSTEM group was missing from the groupm permissions so I added it and restarted.

On restart it asked for the install disk and gave a status of 0x0000225, and said "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible". Start Windows normally failed as did Safe Mode and Windows repair.

I tried running GParted on an Ultimate Boot CD but that showed a libparted bug found - Input/Output error during read on /dev/sda. I then ran GSmartControl and the short test completed without errors. 

I then put the drive into a usb caddy and inspected it in a Windows Vista PC where it correctly showed the 2 partitions. I ran a check disk in computer disk management and it detected and fixed some errors.

I then ran diskpart to check if the OS partition was 'active' but that flag was not listed. I also inspected the disk using AOMEI Partition Assistant which indicated that the disk is GPT not MBR. Does the OS partition need to be set to 'active' whether it's MBR or GPT? I assume so. AOMEI Partition Assistant wouldn't let me use the set active function, maybe Pro version needed. Can I set active using Diskpart when the disk is a slave in the usb caddy? Or can I somehow run Diskpart on a bootable CD or USB stick when the drive is installed?

What else should I do to repair a GPT disk when the Windows Repair disks won't run?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

The long test...of any hard drive diagnostic...IMO, is always more reliable than any short test offered by a hard drive diagnostic.

My suggestion would be to run the long GSMART or SeaTools diagnostic...and note the SMART values indicated by GSmart which call fo user attention.

Louis

#3 NickWUK

NickWUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

Are any of those tests likely to fix the boot manager?

I've been able to run diskpart via AOMEI Partition Assistant on a bootable disk and trying to set the OS partition to 'active' tells me that the active command can only be used on an MBR disk. So I'm now looking for fixes for a GPT EFI Bootloader and I've found the following so far:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/sln300987/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-81-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

https://superuser.com/questions/760828/0xc0000225-error-on-windows-installation-to-gpt-uefi

Edited by NickWUK, 11 May 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#4 NickWUK

NickWUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

After trying different things I selected Start Windows normally and chkdsk ran and fixed a number of issues, then all was ok! I'm sure I had tried starting normally before, however since then I had run a test on the disk as a slave in Vista and it had made some changes.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

GPT disks do not have active partitions. GPT disks use a GUID with UEFI firmware to determine which partition boots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users