Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Heavy Lag on Newly Installed System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fareeha

Fareeha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

Dear Community,

I'm facing an issue with an old computer that I set up freshly with a new version of Windows7 to put it back into good use.

Whenever I'm using the computer it has a fairly big amount of lag. The mouse is largely unaffected and can be moved freely at any time, unless it's grabbing onto a scrollbar or window.
When I'm typing (like right now) or moving windows around or scrolling on a page, or even watching videos or playing games I get small lag spikes that are about half a second long every 4-5 seconds. During that half second the system freezes up for a brief moment. While watching videos only the visuals freeze up, the audio keeps playing normally in all cases I could observe.

Another thing that strikes me as weird is that my CPU(s) constantly jump between values of 0% and 70% usage, even when no programs are running.

I started the system up in safe mode to see whether the problem persists, but I couldn't detect any lag. If it was there, then I didn't notice it.
The GPU did not seem to be enabled during safe mode, so I'm guessing it could have to do with the GPU? Alternatively I'm assuming it could be a driver issue, either a conflict or a driver not working properly. 
I tried using the Troubleshooter "Find and fix problems with devices", which didn't give me any results apart from a missing driver on the  Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller, which must have failed to install during the Windows 7 clean install. 

The windows 7 version that's running was a clean install I just made yesterday. It has Service Pack 1 installed.

The Systems specs are:
2x Xeon X5680 @3.33GHz

48 GB of DDR3 RAM

SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series

NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti

OS Windows 7 Professional

The hardware is a few years old, so I fully expect one of the components could be causing the issue, however it worked just fine a few months back, and I'm hoping to get it back to a fluidly running state. If it is one of the hardware components, how would I go about figuring out which one it is, so I can replace it?

Any kind of help I could get on this would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:16 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Let me just chime in here a little as I'm not really equipped to solve your problem from a technical aspect.

It seems that Windows 7 Home Premium is not designed to run Dual CPU's, and if you do you will need to do some tweaking that I cannot help with.  Since you did not mention what you installed I can only assume that it is Home Premium.

Windows 7 system requirements

"Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor."

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

You need to provide more information about your system (you can start with the Speccy report).

It is extremely unlikely that the hardware drivers that come on a Windows 7 installation CD/DVD are going to be what you need for your system to perform properly.  Almost always at least the mouse will work but then you need ot visit the hardware manufacturers WWW site and download things like chipset, audio, video, network, USB, etc.

You have not provided enough information for anyone to help find what you need if you don't know where to find it yourself.

Then you need to visit the NVIDIA site and get the drivers specific for your card:

[attachment=204601:Untitled.jpg]

Then you should get current on Windows Updates like Service Pack 1 and maybe a couple hundred Windows updates that may address known performance and security issues.

When everything is up to date, that is when you start to investigate performance problems.

Edited by joseibarra, 13 May 2018 - 09:59 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users