Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with hacked network

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dk2019

Dk2019

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place and if I have please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum or tell me and I will do so. My roommate and I both share a WiFi connection. While I set the password for the router we both connect to the common WiFi connection. For the last few months I have overheard him making detailed comments about things that he could in no way know about me except that they are written in my MacBook notes and in emails and such. The first thing I did was reset my MacBook and reinstall the operating system, reset the router settings, and download and install the Private Internet Access vpn (which I run contuously at the highest security setting. A few was later I noticed a odd little blank screen whenever I opened my safari browser the only way to close it was to exit the browser. I went on a bunch of forums and got a lot of advice but none of it worked and no one could identify the blanc screen or issue. However during this time he started making comments again. However, i have no proof to confront him with or better still to take to the landlord(Ive spoken to the landlord about the issue and he has promised to evict if he or anyone he could reasonably know is the cause of it). I am at a lost as to what to do though because Im not that tech savvy .
So far I have run malwarebyte scans, reset my MacBook twice, reset the router 3-4 times, run ETRE scans, downloaded WiresharK. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

I have a MacBook 2014, run PIA vpn app,
We use: Fritzbox 7312 WiFi router with a DSL connection (Im in Germany)

Here isnt the link for the lance screen that I mentioned
https://i.imgur.com/O9GDCIW.png

Edited by Dk2019, 11 May 2018 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

Have you tried resetting your email password? You mentioned that some of the information he has was mentioned in emails so it could be that they have access into your email account.

It depends what kind of information he is talking about as to where the attack vector could be. Is it personal information or is it technical information such as files on your macbook?

Are you sure whoever you are sending this information to is not telling him?

I think the blank screen is just an OS bug and may not be related but it would help to know a bit more information

#3 Dk2019

Dk2019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

It seems like personal info contained in the files stored on my mac itself as well as searches such as immediate internet searches. When it first occurred i changed the email passwords as well as setup 2 stage verification on the email accounts.

#4 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Hm, if it is information stored on files on the mac itself then it is likely that they may have access to the mac itself.

Do you have any form of sharing settings enabled? He may be able to browse to your mac via IP address and then browse the files from there.

Head into System Preferences -> Sharing and see what options are enabled on the left hand side.

#5 Dk2019

Dk2019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

No, I’ve checked my file sharing settings before(and them are on). Additional my room has a safe and when I’m not home I usually keep it in there. This is because our rooms don’t really have locks on them.

#6 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

No, I’ve checked my file sharing settings before(and them are on). Additional my room has a safe and when I’m not home I usually keep it in there. This is because our rooms don’t really have locks on them.

If your file sharing settings are on then this may be the problem. 

#7 Dk2019

Dk2019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

Sorry that is my mistake they are all set to off. I’m typing on my iPad so as to avoid using the compromised system and its a bit harder to type on it.

Edited by Dk2019, 11 May 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#8 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

Sorry that is my mistake they are all set to off. I’m typing on my iPad so as to avoid using the compromised system and its a bit harder to type on it.

Hi Mate,

no worries, to be honest, if you have already reinstalled the OS then it is unlikely the machine is compromised unless he has had physical access to this machine since the reinstall. There has to be another way that he is getting this information other than from you laptop. Are these documents/notes ever sent or moved anywhere or are they on the Macbook and never moved/sent via email etc?

#9 Dk2019

Dk2019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

They are never sent via email in fact other then through iCloud so synced between my MacBook and iPhone.

#10 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

They are never sent via email in fact other then through iCloud so synced between my MacBook and iPhone.

Hm, a bit of a mystery then... Unless they have access to one of your accounts that syncs data iCloud/dropbox/google drive/email etc then I cannot see how they could be getting this information.

#11 iiSplitzii

iiSplitzii

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

Since the account is linked to iCloud, he might be using a wifi sniffer (like Wireshark) to see the handshake between your Macbook and/or iPhone to apple's verification server. I would suggest disabling automatic back up to icloud and set up another router or enable guest mode and have him connect to that from now on to make sure your connection is secure to you and only you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users