Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diskpart command question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:00 AM

Hi,
I have a UEFI boot laptop (not Legacy BIOS).
If I was to use Diskpart to create a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive for UEFI only would the following commands be correct? If my understanding is correct there is no need for the "Active" command to be typed in as it isn't required for UEFI bootable PC's/laptops or have I got that wrong?
diskpart
list disk
select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure it is the USB flash drive!
create partition primary
select partition 1
format fs=fat32
exit

Also, just as a matter of interest. Would it also be possible to do this procedure using Disk Management? Obviously you would have to perform the "Clean" command using Diskpart first as that command isn't available in Disk Management as far as I know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:49 AM

i normally just use RUFUS to create bootable media....much easier

#3 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:54 AM

Hi Mikey. I would like to use Diskpart if possible but I'm trying to ensure that the commands Ive listed are correct and that the "Active" command isn't necessary for UEFI boot only

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

You still need to mark the partition as active in order for the USB to boot and you also need to mount the iso file in order to copy the files to the USB flash drive. This video shows the steps. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZxEVDH1Ek

Also referenced here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2018 - 07:23 AM.

#5 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:14 AM

You still need to mark the partition as active in order for the USB to boot and you also need to mount the iso file in order to copy the files to the USB flash drive. This video shows the steps. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZxEVDH1Ek

Also referenced here.

Hi John. The video shows that method with the Active command is compatible with Legacy BIOS boot and UEFI boot. That's why I was asking if leaving out the Active command in Diskpart will make it UEFI only..which was my understanding of how it works but I wanted to check with you here

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

I don't believe leaving out active has anything to do with Legacy or UEFI. The thing that does determine Legacy or UEFI is the HDD and whether it has a GPT or MBR partition table. Once the FAT32 drive is booted the install takes over and determines if the HDD has a MBR or GPT partition table. If GPT then Windows installs as UEFI if UEFI mode is set in the UEFI settings. The FAT32 has to be marked active in order to boot.

To summarize, in order to install Windows 10 as UEFI you need to set UEFI mode in settings, not Legacy, and the HDD has to have a GPT partition table. 

Attach the FAT32 flash drive to the comptuer. Open Disk Management. Click on the Disk# box to select. Right click and select properties. Under the Volumes tab look under Partition Style. I believe you will see it as MBR. 

#7 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

I don't believe leaving out active has anything to do with Legacy or UEFI. The thing that does determine Legacy or UEFI is the HDD and whether it has a GPT or MBR partition table. Once the FAT32 drive is booted the install takes over and determines if the HDD has a MBR or GPT partition table. If GPT then Windows installs as UEFI if UEFI mode is set in the UEFI settings. The FAT32 has to be marked active in order to boot.

To summarize, in order to install Windows 10 as UEFI you need to set UEFI mode in settings, not Legacy, and the HDD has to have a GPT partition table. 

Attach the FAT32 flash drive to the comptuer. Open Disk Management. Click on the Disk# box to select. Right click and select properties. Under the Volumes tab look under Partition Style. I believe you will see it as MBR. 

Hi John, This is a copy of some info I got on the subject. What do you think?

"The \efi\boot\bootx64.efi file exists by default in the Windows 10 installation media. When you boot from the USB flash drive in UEFI mode, the UEFI firmware does not use boot sectors and does not require active partition to be set. As long as the USB flash drive is FAT32 formatted and has \efi\boot\bootx64.efi file, it should be UEFI bootable."

As it says those efi boot files are on the Windows 10 ISO and so they are copied over to the USB flash drive after you have mounted the ISO and copied them over to the USB.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

"UEFI bootable" to me means the USB will create a HDD drive that is UEFI bootable not that the USB drive itself is bootable. Create your USB flash drive as you posted but do not mark it active. Set the UEFI firmware to UEFI mode, not Legacy. I would be interested to see if the USB flash drive boots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users