Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Red appears orangey on laptop display

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hbluemn

hbluemn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

I just bought a new laptop, the Acer Aspire e 15 e5-576G-5762. It has top of the line specs for the price, but I am disturbed by the color quality of the display. I've tried calibrating it, messing with hue, saturation, etc, but there is no true red in the display. I opened Photoshop and filled in a blank canvas with color #ff0000, which is 100% red, 0% blue, and 0% green.... And it had an orange tint. I'm super upset because I ordered this laptop online and don't want to have to pay for return shipping and restocking or going through any kind of hassle to return it. Plus, I was excited for the value of this laptop because I've been wanting something with power and an SSD for college. I just don't think I can handle the orangey reds. Is there anything I can do?

Edited by hbluemn, 10 May 2018 - 08:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

So if you default all color settings, does Youtube's logo (red play button) look orange-tinted as well?

Does the laptop in question have an HDMI output? Check the color accuracy of that output to an external monitor....

That's a tough call, red should indeed be 'red'...; you will have to decide if returning vice exchanging for one with proper color is an option....

GOod luck

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 hbluemn

hbluemn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

Yes, YouTube's characteristic red does have an orange tint.

The laptop does have HDMI. How would I go about checking what you described?

I don't think it's just my laptop because when I read reviews, I read one on PC Mag I think that said it had slightly below average sRGB or something but I didn't know it would mean this...

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2018 - 06:47 AM.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

your display card software should have an advanced setting you can adjust RGB colors separately.  same with the internel settings of the monitor itself, it should let you adjust RGB.

if you can't adjust it then i would verify with a different monitor to make sure it is the monitor itself causing the issue.  cause it could be the video card causing the issue.  so make sure you verify with a 2nd monitor.

#5 hbluemn

hbluemn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

I'm not sure how to find the different ones. The Intel display or whatever hasn't made any difference when I mess with color settings. It has a Nvidia graphics card but that doesn't give me options to edit colors?

How do I tell it's the graphics card vs the monitor when I plug in an external monitor?

Edited by hbluemn, 11 May 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#6 hbluemn

hbluemn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:18 PM

So if you default all color settings, does Youtube's logo (red play button) look orange-tinted as well?

Does the laptop in question have an HDMI output? Check the color accuracy of that output to an external monitor....

That's a tough call, red should indeed be 'red'...; you will have to decide if returning vice exchanging for one with proper color is an option....

GOod luck

your display card software should have an advanced setting you can adjust RGB colors separately.  same with the internel settings of the monitor itself, it should let you adjust RGB.

if you can't adjust it then i would verify with a different monitor to make sure it is the monitor itself causing the issue.  cause it could be the video card causing the issue.  so make sure you verify with a 2nd monitor.

UPDATE: I connected the laptop to my TV and did the same Photoshop test. It was pure red on the TV and orangey on the laptop, so I know now it's the laptop display that is the problem. I still don't know what to do. Is there a fix or should I try to return it?

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

I would return it!   it's possible you just got a bad screen.

#8 hbluemn

hbluemn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

I would return it!   it's possible you just got a bad screen.

I don't think so, because I read the review on Laptop Mag before buying and it describes the display exactly how it is with mine. The reviewer even mentioned dull reds. So this is just my own ignorance unfortunately. I'm just having a hard time returning it because the specs (SSD and 8th Gen Intel i5 processor) are impossible to find for only $600

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

Just because the unit shipped to Laptop Mag had the same defective LCD panel that yours does doesn't change the fact that the panel is defective.  You may have to be pushy; but, you have a right to a unit that is not defective and some states may even require them to pay for the return shipping.  Hopefully, it's only a small number of units with bad LCD's or else Acer will wind up holding an ugly bag of complaints.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users