Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is motherboard replacement worth doing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dave1969

dave1969

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

I have an old 2003 vintage Intel windows computer with only 1GB of RAM. It has some minor issues but is in pretty good shape. Can the motherboard be updated cheaper than buying a new/used computer. I just hate to throw away the case and internals when they are perfectly good. I HATE wasting stuff! thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

You might be able to find a serviceable motherboard for next to nothing....

I'd sure be leery of investing $100 into repairing it, however, since complete off-lease rigs with i7-2600, etc., can be bought for similar amounts....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

It doesn't need repairing ,it just has an internet dropout  problem but I don't think that is the computer itself. I would just like to have more RAM so I could upgrade my OS to Linux and get rid of Windows. I have found several used computers for $150 or so.I don't have much in this computer- it was given to me but I do have a decent graphics card I paid $60 for and a sound card I paid $20 for. When you say I can get a motherboard for next to nothing do mean $100? If I get another computer can I sell the cards for anything or trade the computer for anything at all or will I just have to recycle it? How hard is a motherboard replacement? What is an off-lease rig? thanks for quick response as usual

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

For cheap $$ you can pickup a late model Dell refurbished unit with a one year warranty, check out their site.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

Well question is how vintgage is this computer?

The thing is the internals may be beyond too old to do anything with, as even linux has its cut off.

However if this is like a full tower or mid size tower from 2003 there may be a chance to make this into a sleeper build.

If this is a old dell, gateway, HP or whatever it could be interesting to see if the internals can be changed out for modern parts.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 May 2018 - 08:47 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Even if the OP updated this pc, I can still see some issues with using a 15yr old case. It probably only has USB 1.0 ports (if it has any ports at all) Any intake/exhaust fans will most likely only be 80mm in size, which makes for a very noisy pc. Depending on the OEM, it might be difficult using the front panel connectors on a non-OEM board. Some OEM cases did not use standard size power supplies

Edited by Joe C, 23 May 2018 - 02:35 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,348 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Even if the OP updated this case, I can still see some issues with using a 15yr old case. It probably only has USB 1.0 ports (if it has any ports at all) Any intake/exhaust fans will most likely only be 80mm in size, which makes for a very noisy pc. Depending on the OEM, it might be difficult using the front panel connectors on a non-OEM board. Some OEM cases did not use standard size power supplies

Well depending on the case one can cheat a little, a drill, blowtorch, dremel/rotary saw etc

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 May 2018 - 02:19 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

lol...yup. I suppose it depends on how much your attached to your circa '03 case... and how much your willing to "detach" in order to upgrade it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users