Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can one opt out of Micosoft Family?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlgaeGreen

AlgaeGreen

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

My daughter and I each have a windows 10 laptops and when she got her laptop, I had her join Family.  But now that I trust her, I no longer wish to be part of Family.  It seems to be impossible to opt out of Family, and all I get from Microsoft is that I have to delete any family members before I can leave Family.  I do that, but then my daughter shows up in Family again without either one of us doing anything. I get an email from Microsoft saying that "[Daughter's Name] has joined Family.  Then she asks me to take her off Family because certain apps won't load for her without asking my permission.  This is becoming a real nuisance.  Surely there must be a  way to completely turn off the Family feature in Windows 10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

See the below link. I would Remove yourself from the family after removing your daughter.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/34763-child-account-add-remove-your-family-windows-10-a.html#option3

It's possible Microsoft changed policy as shown in the below link. It reads like a child cannot be removed unless proof of age is required but I could be wrong.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027707/microsoft-account-remove-members-from-family

Last option would be to change from a Microsoft Login to a local account. I would create two, one being admin and the other user. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-switch-back-to-a-local-account-from-a-microsoft-account/

#3 AlgaeGreen

AlgaeGreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:59 PM

Nothing I view in any of the above linked articles mentions opting out of Family completely.  It appears the only option is to create a local account.  This seems clunky to me, since I use Office 365 and One Drive. 

I can remove my daughter from Family, but after some time passes, I get an email stating that she has been added to Family, even though she says she doesn't do anything to initiate this.  She doesn't receive an invite from me.  She just notices one day that she can't access certain apps like Google Chrome because of Family settings.  This is so frustrating.  Why doesn't Microsoft allow people to completely opt out of Family without needing to create a local account?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

She just notices one day that she can't access certain apps like Google Chrome because of Family settings.  This is so frustrating.  Why doesn't Microsoft allow people to completely opt out of Family without needing to create a local account?

Not that I don't agree with your frustration, but don't you have a lot of latitude over just what is controlled if you're "the parent/enforcer" in a Microsoft Family?  You should be able to, for all practical intents and purposes, take all restrictions off even if the Family relationship still exists.

There is a lot of discussion about techniques for leaving Family:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=leaving+Microsoft+Family&t=hg&atb=v91-1&ia=web

. . . most of it on Microsoft forums.

See specifically:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027707/microsoft-account-remove-members-from-family and if you're the parent then remove all children and remove yourself afterward.  If you need to re-establish family for other accounts then I guess you'll have to go through the setup again.

Edited by britechguy, 16 May 2018 - 09:59 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users