Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop for a friend, which brand has the best support?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Loonmario

Loonmario

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

I'm ruling out Dell because all the call centers are oversees.  What brand currently uses American tech support?  My friend wants Windows so I can't get an Apple.  My experience with Dell was really bad, I couldn't seem to get anything but scripted responses,  Any advice on who to avoid would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

Why do you need to call for support?

How much are you looking to spend?

If you go with either Dell or HP business computers you get better support and longer warranty, but you're not going to get a cheap computer.  I have had minimal dealings with Dell support and when I've dealt with HP's support it was their premium support.

In general the only time I've called Dell or HP for support it was a hardware issue covered under warranty.  

#3 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

Why do you need to call for support?

How much are you looking to spend?

If you go with either Dell or HP business computers you get better support and longer warranty, but you're not going to get a cheap computer.  I have had minimal dealings with Dell support and when I've dealt with HP's support it was their premium support.

In general the only time I've called Dell or HP for support it was a hardware issue covered under warranty.  

$800-$1200 range.  My friend lives 8 hours away and if the laptop develops problems during the warranty period, I don't him to have to deal with oversees call centers if I'm not around.  I've read so many horror stories with Dell and my own personal experience, I just don't want to give Dell any more business on principle.  Hp business class may be an option though.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

I supported the HP EliteBook 840 series machines and they were solid machines, with a SSD.  Great for good general use.  But as I said, they aren't cheap.

#5 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

Usually they are all kind of the same...They do not provide good support unless you pay for their premium support (which costs extra). Failing that you if you are dealing with a warranty issue the best thing you can do is just be patient (Or I would find a "local service" provider that can do warranty claims for you)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users