Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues after doing a windows 10 repair install.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Shulep41

Shulep41

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Ok guys, I tried doing a windows 10 repair install by downloading the Windows Media Creation tool. Everything went smoothly until after the usual welcome screen, after which I got a slew of error messages, from it saying my systemconfig/desktop was unavailable, to a hard error message to a token unavailable message.

I decided to reset my pc from the boot menu, and once that got done, I'm getting a blank screen after I sign in. I have a gig in 12 hours, for which I need my computer to function, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also point to be mentioned, I booted my computer on safe mode and it works fine, I did the first few steps of a clean boot where you uncheck all the windows processes, and it booted fine. But if I restart, it goes back to square one.

If there's anyway I can reinstall windows all over again and not have to face this, that would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

If clean boot works fine then you can enable a few services and startup items at a time to determine which service or startup item is creating the problem unless I take it from your post you cannot do this.

You can do a complete clean install which would require you to backup all your data along with reinstalling all your programs. See the below guide.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

I would recommend a clean install vs trying to reset with the option you keep your files but the reset option is the fastest.

#3 Shulep41

Shulep41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

Ok so the clean boot worked fine only the first time. When i fried to reebot my computer, i had the same issue, and i followed the clean boot steps but there was no difference. It only worked right the first time.

I have a question, if i do a clean install, would it wipe out my hard drive? I dont mind reinstalling all my software, and all the files that i require are in separate partition than your default system partition which in my case is C:/

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

What Version and Build of Windows 10 are you running?

If you're still on Version 1709 you could also try Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  And I do mean via the ISO file method, since this very often works and essentially replaces virtually the entire OS as part of it.  If that doesn't work you're no worse off than before and probably should do the completely clean install of Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Shulep41

Shulep41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

My build version is 1803.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

If you do a *completely* clean install following the instructions you'll wipe your disc.   You can still do a full reinstall of Windows 10 and skip the segment of the instructions at Step 5 that have you get into Command Prompt/Power Shell and do the diskpart command, etc.

If your user data is *entirely* confined to a different partition then it should be untouched if you skip the diskpart part.  You could also try the Windows Fresh Start that's built into Windows under Windows Defender.  You will, however, still have to reinstall software, as that will be wiped.

Edited by britechguy, 10 May 2018 - 12:37 PM.
Added bit on Fresh Start

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Shulep41

Shulep41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

What if I did a repair install all over again in safe mode using the windows media creation tool. Basically how I went about it the first time? Would that help in any way? I can't afford to lose my data on the hard drive.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

It is impossible to answer your question with 100% accuracy.

If, as you say, your user data is on a separate partition than the Windows OS resides on then anything you're doing with regard to Windows will not go beyond the partition where Windows resides.

For myself, if a repair install is what triggered all this I would not go repeating that in hopes of a solution.  You, however, are the one who has to make that decision as well.

When I have a system that started out with instability, and it must have had some in order for you to do a repair install, and the repair install "made things worse" my first impulse is to do what I need to do so that I'm starting again with what I know to be a clean slate as far as the OS is concerned.  

You are in much better shape than most, including myself, if you isolated all of your user data off of the C: drive to begin with.

Still, in the final analysis, before doing anything I would take a full system image backup of the existing system as well as copying off my user data separately on to an external HDD as well.  When data is precious you can never be too careful!

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Instead of doing the install per the guide that Brian wrote you can do a clean install and leave the D: Partition by clicking custom install, then advanced drive options and selecting which partitions you wish to delete and then clicking next at the following Window. You would not be using the diskpart command as shown in the guide.

windows-8-clean-install-09-580712225f9b5

windows-8-clean-install-10-5807121f5f9b5

windows-8-clean-install-11-5807121a3df78

Make sure you are deleting the correct partition number. After deleting everything except the data partition click next. I would highly recommend you do a partition backup of D: to an external drive if at all possible using software like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper, or Easeus Todo Backup Free if you don't have imaging software.

#10 Shulep41

Shulep41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

That's the problem. My system was fine at the start before all of this. It was just slower than windows 8 running on the same machine. So I was told to do a re-install of windows 10, and that would probably speed things up.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

And doing a reinstall, by any one of several methods, might speed things up.

A repair install is not, however, a reinstall.

At this juncture I think you've been presented with virtually any option you might care to exercise, and the precautions you should take before selecting one and doing it.

Were I you I would seriously think about the Fresh Start option which is built in, since it is supposed to preserve user data.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

Well, you can always go back to Windows 8.1 if the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 or 8.1 doing the same method I posted, deleting all partitions except D: Just use the MCT for Windows 8.1. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Edit: Fresh Start, as Brian posted, will download the latest version and then reinstall. 

The Fresh Start feature basically performs a clean install of Windows 10 while leaving your data intact. More specifically, when you choose Fresh Start, it will find and back up all your data, settings, and native apps. After that, it will remove most of the applications from your system and install a fresh copy of the most recent version of Windows 10—which the operation downloads from the Microsoft site, rather than pulling an old copy from a restore partition.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-the-fresh-start-feature-in-windows-10-creators-update/

It says it will save your data but I have no idea what happens when you have a separate data partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 May 2018 - 01:10 PM.

#13 Shulep41

Shulep41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

I think I'm going to go with the fresh start option as britechguy suggested. If that doesn't work, then I'll go with the clean install thing all over again.

#14 Shulep41

Shulep41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

Ok so windows defender doesn't open on safe mode. I click it and nothing happens. I read somewhere that running system file checker from command prompt on safe mode works. Does that help in anyway?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

You can run sfc /scannow in safe mode but from what you are experiencing I would advise a clean install. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users