Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seatools for DOS won't detect hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Yesterday I was using a friend's recently acquired HP Pavilion g6-2158sa Notebook to make an unattended download. When I returned to the machine its fan was running flat out and was very hot and a bit smelly. On inspection I found its intake air vent was blocked. After clearing the vent and rebooting the notebook appears to be running OK, however, I’m concerned that it may have part cooked itself.

I ran the inbuilt HP diagnostics which reported the memory as OK but the HDD as failed. I’ve read that the inbuilt Hp diagnostics is not very good so I’m trying to run Seagate Seatools for DOS from a bootable CD. Once the Seatools has loaded it reports that it can’t detect a hard drive. The hard disk is definitely working because I'm using it to write and post this topic.

If I reboot into Win 10 and run Seatools for Windows it detects the hard drive C:\

Specs: -  2.50 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3210M – (BIOS?) UEFI: Insyde F.25 05/29/2013 - 6GB DDR3 RAM - Samsung ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB 750GB hard drive SMART enabled with status Healthy, partitioned as C:\ & D:\ - Win 10 Home 32bit version 1803 build 17134.48.

Can anyone suggest why Seatools for DOS will not detect the hard disk?

Also, are there any other tests/diagnostics I can run to check if the machine is OK after running hot?

Many thanks

Edited by duffsparky, 10 May 2018 - 09:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

If Seatools for Windows can scan the drive I see no reason why you would want to use Seatools for DOS. Sometimes Seatools for DOS may not pick up the drive because it does not have the mass storage drivers for the the current chipsets. 

You can also do a scan with Gsmartcontrol. Do the short and long scans

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/

Look under the Attributes tab for any pick or red rows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 May 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

I wanted to use the DOS version because I hoped to use its repair function which I thought was not available in the Windows version but I now see it is. I'll give GSmart Control a go and see what it says.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Okay, I see from your other thread you were attempting to repair sectors using Seatools for DOS. Seatools for Windows does fix sector errors also. 

Please read the following. I believe when Seatools for DOS claims to repair sectors this means soft sector errors, not hard errors that are the result of defects in the magnetic media.

https://www.quora.com/Can-HDD-Regenerator-fix-bad-sectors

Best just to get a new drive if Seatools shows it's failing.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 May 2018 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users