Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best value for laptop purchase

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

I want to buy a laptop with a decent processor i3 or i5 or similar, plenty of memory, 8gb. 1Tb HD. card reader, 3 or more USB's and HDMI. Preferably with DVD RW but not essential as I have an external one.

There are so many to choose from on the market I haven't a clue about processors but I imagine a Celeron would be a lower spec than i3 or i5. I don't know the AMD equivalents

My budget us around £300 (about $400)

Can anyone advise?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:22 AM

Hi Juliasdream,

what is the laptop going to be used for? That will help to come up with some specs for the price range that you are looking at. £300 is not a lot for a laptop but depending on the usage you may be able to get a decent spec machine to use.

Let me know and I can see if I can help.

Thank you

#3 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:34 AM

​

Hi Juliasdream,

what is the laptop going to be used for? That will help to come up with some specs for the price range that you are looking at. £300 is not a lot for a laptop but depending on the usage you may be able to get a decent spec machine to use.

Let me know and I can see if I can help.

Thank you

Hi Harry

I don't do anything as demanding as video editing or gaming. Mostly browsing, playing and recording videos. video streaming. web design (I'm using wix at the moment which is quite slow on my current laptop).

I may do some screen capture videos for creating tutorials

I'm using an Akoya E7214 which is quite old. I bought it when WIN 7 was very new. I upgraded the HD to an SSD . it has an i3 processor and now run 64bit win 10 and 3gb memory

In fact it's a great laptop for home use but the graphics are not great and its cumbersome for travelling so I feel its time to get something for when I'm away from home

Thanks

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Definitely don't rule out manufacturer refurbished units if you need a higher spec box than you could afford if buying "brand new."

Given your usage notes virtually any true laptop (not netbook or Chromebook) you can buy that has a processor above the Celeron (which is most of them) will be a major improvement over what you have.

In AMD processors an AMD-A8 or higher (A10, A12) APU would be a significant improvement over what you have as well.  I have AMD APU machines, one A6, one A8, and two A12, and all still work.  I needed "higher horsepower" than the A6 and A8 were capable of, so I replaced both with A12 machines, though both work just fine, and quite quickly, for basic web browsing and office suite work.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

Definitely don't rule out manufacturer refurbished units if you need a higher spec box than you could afford if buying "brand new."

Given your usage notes virtually any true laptop (not netbook or Chromebook) you can buy that has a processor above the Celeron (which is most of them) will be a major improvement over what you have.

In AMD processors an AMD-A8 or higher (A10, A12) APU would be a significant improvement over what you have as well.  I have AMD APU machines, one A6, one A8, and two A12, and all still work.  I needed "higher horsepower" than the A6 and A8 were capable of, so I replaced both with A12 machines, though both work just fine, and quite quickly, for basic web browsing and office suite work.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I've decided after all that I'll try giving my laptop a new lease of life by upgrading the memory which should help with multi tasking. I'm quite happy with it other than it slows down or becomes unresponsive

I have 3gb RAM and I found a 4gb stick on ebay for £20

I'll replace the 1gb with 4gb giving me 6gb altogether

Your advice won't be a time waste I'm just playing for time so I can carry on with what I've got while I keep a lookout for a higher spec at a good price.

My Akoya  is quite large and heavy for a laptop so when I find something else I'll keep this one for home use and a new lighter one for travel so I will still be following your recommendations

#6 ethanscott

ethanscott

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:21 AM

Thanks to everyone for your help. I've decided after all that I'll try giving my laptop a new lease of life by upgrading the memory which should help with multi tasking. I'm quite happy with it other than it slows down or becomes unresponsive

I have 3gb RAM and I found a 4gb stick on ebay for £20

I'll replace the 1gb with 4gb giving me 6gb altogether

Your advice won't be a time waste I'm just playing for time so I can carry on with what I've got while I keep a lookout for a higher spec at a good price.

My Akoya  is quite large and heavy for a laptop so when I find something else I'll keep this one for home use and a new lighter one for travel so I will still be following your recommendations

Even I am planning to buy a new laptop, but my budget is a little higher since I have been collecting money for around 2 years now if I'm correct. I have started looking around for options. Any more advice is appreciated!

#7 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

I just ordered a refurbished HP14-bw020na

AMD A6-9220 with 8gb memory, 1Tb HDD DVD Writer 1USB 2.0 2 xUSB's 3.1 and HDMI

It's got to be better than my ageing Medion Akoya as far as travelling goes

Thanks to all for the advice