Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to resize system reserve partition

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:23 AM

I need to increase the size of my system reserve partition. This is my first time attempting this. I received an update to go from 1509 to 1709. When I try to update I get : Windows 10 couldn't be installed and we couldn't update the system reserved partition. My searches found that all that is needed is to increase the system reserve partition. I tried Minipartition Wizard but it does not support it with the free version. This would be great hands on for me as I am a student for computers and networks. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

188056d1525904276-windows-10-version-upd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:23 AM

Hi copiman,

I have found that EaseUS Partition Manager usually works for all my partitioning needs. It may be worth giving it a try?

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/

#3 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:30 AM

Hi copiman,

I have found that EaseUS Partition Manager usually works for all my partitioning needs. It may be worth giving it a try?

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/

Thanks. I will give it a try this evening. Got to go to work right now.

#4 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

Tried easeus and it does not allow it. Any ideas?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 May 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#6 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

For some reason I can't paste it like I did in post #1. Don't see any attachment icon either. Ctrl V does not work. Not sure what to do.

Edited by copiman, 10 May 2018 - 09:02 PM.

#7 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:04 PM

Attached File  Capture.PNG   203.79KB   1 downloads

See if this works

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

Is there any reason to keep F: as it's only only 2GBs. If you do not need it then delete and resize the EFI partition into the unallocated space of F: If Easeus is like most partition managers you will need to click apply to complete the steps. That would give you an EFI partition of over 2GBs which would be more than enough.

The other way, if you want to keep F: then resize F:. I don't k now if Easeus will allow you to resize from the front of F:. If not then resize F: where it is adjacent to C: the amount of space you want to give the EFI partiiton. This will give unallocated space after F:. Move F: into the unallocated space. This will give unallocated space in the front of F: Resize the EFI partition into this unallocated space.

#9 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

Attached File  IMG_20180511_184143274_HDR.jpg   115.19KB   0 downloadsThe disk mgt does not show everything. Here is a pic of the easeus screen. There is a partion between the EFI system partition that you said to increase and the unallocated 2.09G partition. Cant seem to get the unallocated next to the EFI.

Edited by copiman, 11 May 2018 - 06:12 PM.

#10 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

Based on some reading it looks like it cannot be done. Should I just back up data, wipe the drive, and reload 10?

I'm at a loss on this one and need some direction. What gets me is how did it get this way. My 10 machine does not look like this one in easeus.

Edited by copiman, 11 May 2018 - 06:38 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

Sorry, I forgot about the System Reserved Partition (MSR). The partition cannot be resized. I am not sure but can you delete the 2 GB F: Partition after backing up any data in it then move the MSR into the 2GB unallocated space. This would give you 128MB after the EFI partition allowing you to expand it. 

There are some thoughts on whether the MSR is actually needed but I would keep if if possible. Starting with Windows 10 a clean install of 10 will have the MSR sized to 16MB.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3498663/windows-cumulative-update-efi-partition-move-msr.html

Edit: Your MSR is the 128MB partition. 

Edit Edit: I would also add that any partition movements entails risk and your critical data should be backed up first.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2018 - 07:09 PM.

#12 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

Thank you for all your help on this. I do however have questions as it relates to a clean install.

This PC was a Windows 7 PC that updated to the free 10 offer some time ago. If I do a clean install of 10 will it activate?

Should I just do the clean install or should I  delete all on the drive, similar to what a new drive would be, and then do the clean install?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

Because you upgraded to Windows 10 the license is digital and stored on Microsoft servers tied to your hardware ID so it will active once online.

See the below BC guide on doing a clean install of Windows 10. You have an EFI system partition so you would use the convert GPT command in the guide.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

#14 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

Thanks again for all your help. Glad your here. By the way, love that avatar of yours.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

Your Welcome, If you have any questions later post back. If don't answer then you can PM me. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users