Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for most resource-friendly network monitor software, ideas, etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Snaxforgandhi

Snaxforgandhi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:32 AM

Hi!

I'm a total newb so please assume I know nothing ('cuz it's true) and I find that for various reasons I would like to be able to have a record of all network activity on my PC. Searches have returned oodles of different options but I don't know enough to suss out strengths/weaknesses. My requirements are that I have a reference-able log of all activity that isn't eating up a ton of space. I see that Wireshark captures are very manageable size-wise but Wireshark seems to be massively overkill for my needs and I can read Wireshark how-tos for about 30 seconds before my brain begins to smoke. Any help appreciated. (I truly hope I haven't grossly mis-posted here, sorry in advance if that's the case)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

Hi there,

Splunk is a leading Log Management application, and its free....... (indexing up to 500mb per day)

It will present your devices 'Network' and 'End Point' logs in a graphical interface, all in real-time, which is easier for a 'non-tech' to understand.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/solutions/solution-areas/log-management.html

Edited by Replicator, 10 May 2018 - 07:21 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

Hello

PTRG is free for up to 100 sensors. Should be enough to keep track of what is going on in your home network :)

Ntopng will give you deeper insights into what happens on your network, but it will need to be placed so that all traffic can flow through it.
That means either inline with traffic, or on a switch which mirrors the internet traffic to another port.

Hth!

tfn

#4 Snaxforgandhi

Snaxforgandhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

Thank you! I will check both of those out and see if I can figure them out without damaging my brain too badly. Much appreciated. :)

#5 Snaxforgandhi

Snaxforgandhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:09 PM

Replicator, apparently Splunk does come at a cost of $75/ingested Gb (Splunk lite) so unfortunately that rules it out for my wallet I'm afraid, unless I'm not understanding something. (Highly likely)

(**UPDATE** After looking at PRTG I think I understand a bit better the pricing schemes and probably misspoke about Splunk.)

Edited by Snaxforgandhi, 11 May 2018 - 10:20 PM.

#6 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:53 AM

There is both a paid and a free version, the only difference are extra features on the paid version which you wont need.

These are mainly used for corporate networks etc.

The page on the supplied link, has a large green button (top right), Free Splunk!

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#7 Snaxforgandhi

Snaxforgandhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

Cool Rep, thanx for setting me straight. (I love free things, it's my favorite price. ;) ) Now I just gotta figure out how to actually use it! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users