Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Format Guidance (2 questions)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ConcernedGuy

ConcernedGuy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Hey there,

System: Windows 8.1 16GB RAM Asus GeForce GTX970 4GB Strix

Here is an imgur gallery of all my system specs as well, including the (what I deemed) worth info from device manager and this pc properties screen

https://imgur.com/a/CI7BgnN

I am about to format my PC which I built about ~5 years ago because it really needs it. I have done this once before but I remember the drivers being a huge issue as I wasn't 100% comfortable with what I was doing.

Can you guys please point me in the right direction of where to get proper drivers for all of the extremely important stuff that is necessary (I remember having a huge issue getting the ethernet driver and connecting to the internet last time)

I have 2 16GB Flash drives ready.

I bought a physical copy of Windows 8.1 with my system which is now buried in an attic I cannot access, I know that I can get the key from my system and reuse it, what is the easiest way to go about this?

What is the most reliable place to get a boot iso file (if this isn't the proper term I apologize) for my flashdrive for re installation.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

First of all, what do you mean your system needs to be formatted? I've never reformatted a drive on any system - and I've been at this since 1980.

Second, the best place to obtain drivers is from the websites of the various hardware manufacturers for each device. In the case of laptops, ALL drivers should be downloaded from the website of the laptop manufacturer. Before doing ANYTHING, make sure you have the correct drivers available.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

You can find your key using Produkey or ShowKeyPlus.

You can follow the BC clean install guide for Windows 10. The only difference is the MCT which you can download here for Windows 8.1. Your Windows 8 key will work for the 8.1 install.

Use the convert gpt command as shown in the guide as you have a UEFI computer. The 8.1 MCT will create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. The best option as explained in the clean install guide is to download the iso file and use burning software or Rufus for a bootable USB flash drive.

I could not download using the MCT awhile ago. If it fails then use the Windows iso downloader.

#4 ConcernedGuy

ConcernedGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Thanks sir!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

Your Welcome, and good luck. Just be sure to get your drivers first. The most important being the Wifi and Ethernet drivers allowing you to go online. Getting the Chipset drivers would be a good idea too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users