Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell E5540 Bios won't boot OS or setup options.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Iggyavendano

Iggyavendano

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Hey, thanks to everyone in advance,

So my personal computer is a Dell E5540, I had Windows 10/Ubuntu dual boot running on it.

Last night I was logging out of Ubuntu and moving over to windows, so I restarted the machine and it got stuck in a Dell logo with a loading bar under it.

I started to troubleshoot did a hard reset (turn off, remove battery and AC, press power button for about 30 seconds, turno computer back on) and it still ended up stuck in dell logo.

I kept looking for answers online, someone suggested removing the CMOS battery (I belive this is where the big bleepup happened) I did so and after booting the machine, I get past the Dell logo and get stuck in a "Intel Rapid Storage option rom" with a message that says "RAID VOLUMES: None defined", shows my SSD and HDD, stays there until a restart and get stuck there again after doing so.

I am not able to access the BIOS setup nor the F12 boot menu, it says it's loading but just continues to "Raid volumes" screen, If I remove the SDD, the HD or both from the computer I dont get the "Raid Volumes" screen but rather just end up with a black screen and blinking cursor, not able to access F2, F8 diagnostics, nor the F12 menu ither.

So far i have searched and done a lot of things, I belive the BIOS on my board is corrupted.

Any one out there able to help me resolve this issue? I't seems kinda hard to belive my computer is done for, is there any way of flashing a BIOS without being able to access anything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

Press F12 when booting to select a boot device.  The boot may have been changed.

#3 Iggyavendano

Iggyavendano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

Press F12 when booting to select a boot device.  The boot may have been changed.

Thanks for the suggestion, when I press F12 it says "Loading one time boot menu" in the top right corner but does nothing, just goes into a black screen with a blinking cursor.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

I missed the F12 originally.  I'm not seeing another way to clear the BIOS other than removing the CMOS battery.  I'm guessing you're right on the corrupt BIOS, but didn't find a way to clear it or update it if it doesn't POST and you can't boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users