Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NoseArt

NoseArt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:09 PM

Usually, I must reinsert my Wi-Fi adapter into my computer to make it work, however, over the course of two weeks my problem has been exacerbated to the point where, in a desperate, albeit futile attempt to solve the issue, I factory reset my computer.

It crashes during downloads, sometimes it doesn't work at all after a reboot. I've used another adapter, doesn't matter.

I think at this point my only choice is to completely scrap my computer, but I don't have the money to replace it, so I'm asking (begging) if there's anything I can do that I haven't already done.

(Typing from a mobile)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

More information needed !

Make and model of computer (or major components if self-built), make and model of wifi adapter(s) used, anything else you may think useful.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 NoseArt

NoseArt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

https://imgur.com/a/du9qPzt

Network Adapter: NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

Secondary Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN722N

Thank you

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

My normal computer is a desktop running Win 7 and I use a TP Link adapter myself, an 814 if memory serves. Since at the moment I am not at home I cannot check that !  But it is only the latest of several and I have never had the troubles you are suffering which could be laid down to a wifi adapter, and I am not convinced that the adapters are causing your problems.

However, that's as may be. I would suggest that to eliminate the possibility of them causing your problems you go the makers' web-sites and download the latest drivers for Win 8.1 you can find and save them somewhere you can find them easily, then delete the software for both of them completely from your system. After that, re-boot and install your preferred one with the new drivers. I see from the documentation for them that your TP-Link adapter only appears to have drivers for up to Win 7. This may be a problem but I do know that my one works quite happily in Win 10. Be careful when you do the install and get the sequence correct, some can be quite fussy about this, check the user guide.

If this works and gives you a stable solution, great. If it doesn't - and I suspect your problems lie elsewhere - then post back and I or someone else can look at alternative causes and solutions.

And last and not least, welcome to BC !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 NoseArt

NoseArt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, thanks for replying. I've done that multiple times already. It works. But isn't stable. At all.

To clarify, my current situation is that my connection is functioning, I just can't download anything. And sometimes it disconnects while browsing. I can't actually get the TP Link driver from their site to work, but the one I get when I press the button on the dongle "works". But that's irrelevant.

Anyway, thanks again.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

I have used a number of different adapters over the years. One just died on me, one got lost but I have always had solid connections and connection problems were normally down to either my phone line or my ISP, it might be worth your while checking with your ISP to see if there are any connection problems.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users