Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone records, but nothing detects it.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

To clarify, my microphone is working (as shown here: https://prnt.sc/jezlvt) but no programs will pick it up. I've had this problem before in the past, but it was solved mostly due to luck or maybe me reinstalling my drivers. I've already reinstalled my realtek drivers by my motherboard manufacturer, but to no avail. Discord and online games won't pick it up, but when I check if my mic is working, I am getting green bars. I didn't change any settings and my mic just started randomly not picking up in programs.

To summarize, my mic isn't broken as the computer is picking it up and if I enable listen to device, I can hear myself, but no games and discord will pick it up. 

Some things I believe might be the cause is maybe a virus or the fact that I have vbcable installed too, but I didn't change anything in it and it stopped working one day. Please help.

Specs:

Msi ms-7641

Realtek Hd audio

Headset connected via back panel port

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

bump. Please help me

#3 BavTheSlav

BavTheSlav

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Hello.

Recently my microphone on my Sades Mo Ling headset has stopped working.

I troubleshooted for a while, and eventually got the microphone itself to record and pick up sound, as I can hear it through my headphones, so the microphone ITSELF works.

However, what I found perplexing is that nothing will pick it up. When I went to Discord to configure my audio settings, it recognized that I had the microphone, but it wouldn't pick anything up. I tried Audacity, and it gave me an error. 

Capture.png

So I thought that maybe it really IS my microphone. I borrowed a friends, plugged it in, same issue. I even tried my headset on his computer, and it worked there.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, using different ports on my computer(I've got a corsair keyboard that usually works when I plug things into it, the front panel, and the back panel). 

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? I'm in the process of purchasing another headset. Perhaps that it will work. If not, I will refer to this thread.

Thank you in advance.

#4 Soganox

Soganox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

I was having the same issue due to a recent Windows 10 update.

Found my solution here: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/windows-10-april-update-mic-issue.84508/

Long story short, under Start > Settings > Privacy > Microphone you can choose whether you Allow apps to access your microphone. This previously had no effect on many popular apps (games, Discord, etc) but now it does. I had to enable it and things went back to normal.

#5 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

Thank you for the reply, but microphone for apps was already enabled. I checked my game launcher and it is receiving signal from my microphone, but my game voice chat doesnt pick it up.

#6 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

Hello.

Recently my microphone on my Sades Mo Ling headset has stopped working.

I troubleshooted for a while, and eventually got the microphone itself to record and pick up sound, as I can hear it through my headphones, so the microphone ITSELF works.

However, what I found perplexing is that nothing will pick it up. When I went to Discord to configure my audio settings, it recognized that I had the microphone, but it wouldn't pick anything up. I tried Audacity, and it gave me an error. 

Capture.png

So I thought that maybe it really IS my microphone. I borrowed a friends, plugged it in, same issue. I even tried my headset on his computer, and it worked there.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, using different ports on my computer(I've got a corsair keyboard that usually works when I plug things into it, the front panel, and the back panel). 

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? I'm in the process of purchasing another headset. Perhaps that it will work. If not, I will refer to this thread.

Thank you in advance.

I wonder if we are having the same problem...

Your problem sounds similar but not exact.

Can you see green bars if you go into recording devices? If I enable listen to this device, I can hear myself talking loud and clear with green bars. Discord and game launchers acknowledge that they are getting input from my mic, but discord solid green bar test fails but if I switch it over to like sound sensitivity, it shows that it is picking it up. Recording software picks my microphone up and I can hear myself, but in an online game, if I try to talk, the game shows no signs of actually receiving ay input from me. Ive reinstalled my drivers multiple times too.

Edit: this is what I mean about the discord situation and its the same case for everything else,

Discord can hear my mic when I put input sensitivity as shown in here: https://i.imgur.com/tz6yPR4.png
But when I want to talk in a call it doesnt receive. When I try this test (the solid green bar test), it fails. What I mean by green bar: https://i.gyazo.com/d3cec7fcd52c53b57f43e160555a12be.png

Edited by SavagedBlade, 10 May 2018 - 06:04 PM.

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

I'd be investigating whether 'default' is correct for 'input device' in your assorted sound settings tabs....; it sure seems like this is going to be one thing not clicked/selected that should be....

Check all 'sound mixer' options as well...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:22 AM

I'd be investigating whether 'default' is correct for 'input device' in your assorted sound settings tabs....; it sure seems like this is going to be one thing not clicked/selected that should be....

Check all 'sound mixer' options as well...

Sound mixer is all at 100

#9 BavTheSlav

BavTheSlav

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

I was having the same issue due to a recent Windows 10 update.

Found my solution here: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/windows-10-april-update-mic-issue.84508/

Long story short, under Start > Settings > Privacy > Microphone you can choose whether you Allow apps to access your microphone. This previously had no effect on many popular apps (games, Discord, etc) but now it does. I had to enable it and things went back to normal.

This solved it. Thank you so much!

#10 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

What do I do if my mic already has access to apps?

#11 SavagedBlade

SavagedBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Bump please

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users