Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win xp,. dell inspiron

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snipers

snipers

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

i wantto install linus on my laptop and   get rid of the xp  syaten ithas now,  just a thought for now, not sure if i can evendo it,any  thoughts ?? david

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

Hi, what model is this Dell Inspiron laptop?

Edited by Al1000, 09 May 2018 - 11:05 AM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Indeed we will need information on your model.

If its a pre 2004 machine you may be out of luck as a lot of old hardware may not be supported.

If you have a Pentium 4 and 1 gig of ram your options may be a bit thin

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Hi, snipers.

Have to agree with madman. For most mainstream distros, they're dropping support for older hardware left, right & centre. Canonical, the producers of Ubuntu, are especially bad about this; Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical's head honcho, has made no secret of the fact that he has aspirations to becoming the Linux world's 'Bill Gates'.....and thereby 'set the barrier' for everybody else to aspire to. They customize their own versions of the Linux kernel, to restrict support to mainly newer hardware (7/8 yrs old or younger).

If, as Madman says, you're talking about a Pentium 4 CPU and a gigabyte of RAM (like I have), then don't even think about the current mainstream releases; they just will not work. For hardware of that kind of vintage, you need something extremely lightweight. Like 'Puppy' Linux, which I run myself.

However, that's getting ahead of ourselves. Specifications, please; without knowing what hardware you've got, we can't really make suggestions. A read-out from Speccy would be ideal; we're not there with you, looking over your shoulder....and we're absolutely crap with a crystal ball..!

What would also help is having some idea of what you'd like to use your computer for. What do you want to do with it?

The only reason I'm asking all this is for one simple reason. Because there's lots of Linux 'ditributions' out there. Hundreds of 'em, in fact.....and most are tailored toward one kind of usage or another. Knowing what you want to do with your machine gives us a better idea of what to recommend.....though I'm fairly certain I know what that recommendation is going to be!

We have all sorts here; ranging from folks with brand-new, custom-built systems to those who rescue then from the local charity shops, or even from the roadside..!

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 May 2018 - 11:42 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

Have to agree with madman. For most mainstream distros, they're dropping support for older hardware left, right & centre. . . .

If, as Madman says, you're talking about a Pentium 4 CPU and a gigabyte of RAM (like I have), then don't even think about the current mainstream releases; they just will not work. For hardware of that kind of vintage, you need something extremely lightweight. Like 'Puppy' Linux, which I run myself.

It all comes down to the fact that any OS maker cannot expend the resources necessary to maintain complete backward compatibility with all PC hardware since the beginning of PC time.  It's just not a good use of their time and resources.

There does come a time when hardware and software are truly obsolete.   I'm all about extending the life of systems for as long as is reasonably possible but realize that expending lots of effort to do so for hardware that has been out of production sometimes literally for decades makes no sense if one has to choose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 snipers

snipers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:26 AM

thank you i will  get  thedetyaild fromthe inspiron i just canrt tremember when i boughtit, i usd to travel thas why i have it,  now it will just bea back upcomputerr, the battery never worked fromday 1 ,  wolfd not charge up, i dont remember whatdell didabout iit,   they didsomething whatever it was i accepted .    david

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users