Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from windows 7 to 10 using USB - PC ran into problem needs restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 faizzsheikh

faizzsheikh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to upgrade my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 using a USB. On booting from USB I keep getting the error "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. we will restart it for you" and nothing happens.

Could someone please help me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

where did you get the USB?

#3 spsharma

spsharma

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

Try to upgrade online or you need to delete all drive and again create, reason is their file system is different from Each Others.

#4 faizzsheikh

faizzsheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

I generated bootable USB while installation process https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Try to upgrade online or you need to delete all drive and again create, reason is their file system is different from Each Others.

Sure let me try the online upgrade, will let you know what happens.

#5 spsharma

spsharma

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

I generated bootable USB while installation process https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Sure let me try the online upgrade, will let you know what happens.

But, why windows 10 only. you will get lot of notification to update and you can't stop it. I will suggest install windows 10 Pro where you can  stop update notification.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:51 AM

You can only Upgrade from Windows 7 to Win 10 Home , or Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro , etc.

So select the corresponding OS when you install Win 10.

Download the MediaCreationTool and burn the ISO to USb and then boot / Install from that

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

This may be the 1709 Version ? so then the 1803 Update will follow after , i havent tested the Link lately or done an Install , either way the 1803 will be done at sometime anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users