Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running slower after spectre 'fix'

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 x2006charger

x2006charger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:13 AM

(Posting this for a friend. Also, I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this. Mods- please move if it's wrong)

So, a little hard to come up with a good title for this, but here's the problem my friend is having.

First, his specs:  

Attached File  F3PjkPE7Q0aWRiv1hwLsDA.png   44.51KB   0 downloads  

(If that doesn't work, the basics are i7 7700k, gtx 1070, 16GB ram, and some kind of Cyberpower board, recently changed to something called ASRock. I've never heard of 'em, but it's not my board.)

So, this rig was running fine, able to get 60 fps in nearly everything. Then, he got a recent update (forced, of course, as is the windows 10 way). This update apparently included a 'fix' for the big spectre/meltdown thing. And by 'fix,' I mean it has crippled his rig. He can't achieve more than 20 FPS in games such as  Destiny 2 and Ark, where before he was holding solid 60's.  What he's tried so far:

-rolling back the update (failed, wouldn't let him do it)

- 'Resetting' Windows 10, keeping files (Didn't fix it either)

- changing some registry stuff to unfix the fix.

- update all drivers (Except BIOS, no updates for the Cyberpower board he was using.)

- Clean reinstall of windows 10 from an iso image. When he did this he kept the computer disconnected from the internet. This still didn't fix it.

And his most drastic change, he bought a new motherboard, an ASRock of some kind, and then applied the latest bios update for that board. This still hasn't solved the problem. I'm wondering personally if the GPU's more at fault here, but it would seem odd that it would start acting up after that specific windows update.

We're at a loss at this point what to try next. Anyone else experience this?

Edited by x2006charger, 09 May 2018 - 01:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

I'd first double check that he is running his monitor from one of the GPU outputs, and not from one of the HDMI/DVI integrated graphics outputs....

(It might sound stupid, but, I did it myself once for a few minutes, and was confused for a few minutes by the dismal framerates in BF1....) :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

this was a big issue with the spectre fix, to address the problem the fix slowed all computers down.  matter of fact there is a class action lawsuit against intel because the fix slowed so many computer down and customers were not get the performance they paid and that was advertised.

Edited by mightywiz, 11 May 2018 - 09:47 AM.

#4 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

It was warned that the fix will reduce CPU performance by upto 30%. That's why I personally did not run the fix. 

Only real way to increase performance is to remove the patches unfortunately.

#5 x2006charger

x2006charger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

How would he go about removing those patches? He's tried a clean install, but the 'fix' seems to remain in place.

#6 Planetmind

Planetmind

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

Heya gents,

I'm the friend x2006charger posted this thread for. Thanks for the replies so far. I think I've figured out what the problem is, now I just need a solution.

So I think that the Spectre/Meltdown patches were only partly responsible for my computer's recent slowdown. I was able to disable both countermeasures using InSpectre, but the lag mostly remains. Seeing how many people have complained about slower computers since the Fall Creator's Update last...fall, I looked into that and found that, quote, "It seems. It is because Windows GDI GetPixel function works in 100 times slower after Creator Fail Update".  I would try and roll back my computer to before the update, but I don't have a system restore point and there's no way to uninstall it via Control Panel.

Is there anything I can do to rollback my computer or am I just screwed?

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

Here is a link where you can ostensibly download ISO images of 1703 which you would then need to burn to a DVD and start fresh, yet again.  Be warned; though, that Microsoft has stated that they will not offer updates for version more than two back (meaning the next update after 1803 (current) will put you behind the eight ball.

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-creators-update-1703-download-build-15063/windows-10-creators-update-1703-iso-download-standard/

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:48 PM

FWIW.......i tried following the above link. The result is shown below.

123123.png

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

Yeah,  I got attacked, too, with the fake "Java Update" notification which is an old scam that people still fall for.......

Unfortunately; though, M$ only offers, as far as I know, the latest (1803) version for download.  This utility still includes 1703 and I have used it before:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users