Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Whole Folder Just Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 efish4559

efish4559

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

I recently bought a new 200g Hard Drive ('H:')
I have a folder on the root of the drive ('FILES').
'FILES', as I write this, contains 4922 (~8mb) files in 737 folders.

A few days ago, I tried to move a folder ('B') into 'FILES' ('B' and 'FILES' were both in 'H:'), but there was already a 'B' folder in 'FILES',
So I got a "Confirm Folder Replace" message...
Since I didn't want to overwrite any files, I clicked "Cancel", but then 'B' disappeared...
It didn't return to it's original location, wasn't deleted, wasn't in the new 'cancelled' location... just disappeared...

This morning, the first folder in 'FILES' ('A') was fine...
I didn't change anything or even view it.
I simply know it was still there since I saw it when browsing 'FILES'.

Sometime this day I needed to move something into 'A', but when I entered 'FILES', it was gone!
Simply gone...

I searched my whole computer to see if maybe it moved by accident.

I used a File Recovery program to see if it was accidentally deleted,
and though I found very old files, there was no trace of any of the 14 files that were in 'A'.

Then a ran a disk check on the drive to see if there was any 'corruptness' in the drive (although it's pretty new).
but still... nothing...

By chance, this morning, I used a file listing program to list all of the filenames and locations in 'FILES' into a text file.
[The program could not have deleted the folder, since I only installed and used it for the first time today]
So just now I relisted 'FILES' into another text file and used a file comparison program to check for changes,
to see if any other files or folders disappeared...
but what I found is that indeed only 'A' and it's 14 files disappeared... everything else was the same...

Now... how can a folder just disappear, with no trace?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:37 AM

Files don't just disappear. Something has to delete them - it could be something on your system, or it could be a virus.

Since you used a file recovery program to check for them - did you happen to notice any similar files in the recovery program? It could be that the filenames in the MFT were corrupted/erased.

Other than that, my only possible guess is cosmic rays :thumbsup: Were you wearing your tinfoil hat when this happened? (just kidding!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users