Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screws - Can One Use 2.5 x 6mm Instead of 2.5 X 6.5mm

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sapienta

Sapienta

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Greetings:

I have an HP 15 Laptop that is refusing the power on (the power LED  blinks a few times but that is it). While disassembling the machine to replace a hard drive, some screws were unfortunately lost.

While I am very doubtful that the missing screws would cause the present problem, I am not sure what else to think at the moment. According to the HP service manual, most of the screws that were lost are 2.5 x 6.5 mm screws. However, these seem to be a rather uncommon size. The few I found in that size were comparatively far more expensive than sets that included a range of sizes, including 2.5 x 6mm screws. My question is, is it acceptable to use 2.5 x 6 screws in place of the 2.5 x 6.5 that were originally used,or not? The screws are the ones that go into the bottom of the laptop.

hanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

image.jpg                  image.jpg

2.5 x 6.5 mm                                                                     2.5 x 6 mm

The difference is .5 of a mm in length

It will make no difference.

Go for it

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

btw...screw length is measured from under the head of the screw

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:28 PM

Screw length can be critical on laptops, one that's too long will bottom out before the case is secured tight.  That could also dislodge the brass threaded inserts in the plastic.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:59 PM

The one in question is shorter by .5mm.....so he should be ok

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

As long as it is long enough to grab by at least a few threads....should be fine....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users