Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dv7-3183cl Test, Mint Mate 17.3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

Just testing another laptop to see if all is working well before I decide what to install to it for donation.  Doing this with a Linux Live Session of Mint Mate 17.3.  It would not boot from a DVD, so got out the trusty USB and here we go.  Just tested the DVD player and it works, so need to go back and see why it would not boot from Linux Mint.

I can say one thing about this laptop to start, it has a hot spot on the bottom left hand corner, and is maybe one reason why the owner got rid of it.  Though it is quite old, the HDD was bad, and the battery was not working properly, so not really worth keeping for him.  I did however fully tear it down, clean and repaste the cpu and graphics chip. 

Found a used HDD to install and now making sure it will stand up to some good use for a few more years.  I want to install Linux to it but most places that accept donations don't want or know what Linux is, so I may have to go with the boring Windows 7 Home Premium. 

Monitoring Temps with " watch -n 1 -d sensors" after installing lm-sensors.  I'm listening to a youtube music video and now five tabs open in Firefox.  Along with what you can see in the pics, LO Writer, Terminal, System Monitor, Firefox, File Manager - you get the idea.  So far all the basics work and the speakers are very nice for an old laptop, look at the inxi for Audio!  Hope someone enjoys this little test I put some of the computers I work on through.

NKuBl4L.png

Also, noticed that the CPU is a Dual Core but reporting in System Monitor as a Four Core.  Things are working quite nicely I think.

RpE0vAy.png

Here is a shot of what I have open

yKot30H.png

inxi -Fxz output

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC v: 049D210000241210000020000
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 365C v: 32.23 Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: F.13 date: 12/03/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5 M 430 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9044
           clock speeds: max: 2267 MHz 1: 1333 MHz 2: 1333 MHz 3: 1466 MHz 4: 1866 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce G 105M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.1hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM43225 802.11b/g/n driver: bcma-pci-bridge bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1048.2GB (2.1% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB temp: 38C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 16.0GB temp: 0C
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 32.0GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.9G used: 249M (13%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 52.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 198 Uptime: 22 min Memory: 808.9/3879.2MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28 
mint@mint ~ $ 

Edited by pcpunk, 08 May 2018 - 07:34 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

I want to install Linux to it but most places that accept donations don't want or know what Linux is, so I may have to go with the boring Windows 7 Home Premium. 

Amazing how that works.

When Microsoft was giving away Windows 10 I was throwing it on every computer I could sell or donate and never had enough of them.

Now it's no longer free I throw Linux on them and its hard to sometimes even give them away because everyone whats Microsoft Windows.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

I find the Linux folks to be more passionate.  When I get someone who sees a Linux Machine up for sale they come get it without to much drama, they know what they want.  The Windows folks don't know what they want - lol - jab jab, haha, and will ask all kinds of questions but don't know what they are talking about.  This is a Generalization of course but been a trend for me at least.  I think they are on a budget also, and like the fact that they are getting a great Office Product for free!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users